We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalik beer

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kalik beer

Kalik ~ Beer of the Bahamas, you have to try it while your there.

We had Kalik on tap at the Riu at the pool bar, lobby bar and buffet.

In Nassau to try a bottle just go into any Duty Free Shop on Bay St and get an ice cold bottle for $2 put in a little brown bag and you can walk the streets of Nassua enjoying this great beer. (Side street stores sold it for $2.50)

My buddy and I had 3 waiting for the woman to come out of the staw market(1 1/2hrs?) sit by the wall by Senior Frogs for some entertainment especially when the young cruise ship crowd goes by, don't think they enforce any drinking age limits in that place.

Great refreshing beer on a hot day!

You used to be able to get Kalik in the Duty Free shop across from the Atlantis marina but they only sold "Sands" (from Freeport) when we were there a week ago, also a pretty decent beer.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalik beer

Hated it, to me it tasted like a skunked Heineken. The Light was somewhat closer to a Heineken taste.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
57 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalik beer

Since I didnt want to drink what I normaly would drink at home I tried Kalik and I liked it. I bought 12 bottles at the local package store down the road from Atlantis near Anthony's restraunt. The price is about $2 a bottle and they sell them in singles. Kalik does come in three different varieties a light, regular and gold. Gold is a stronger alcohol taste. I would compare the taste to an amstel light. If you prefer other beers, they sell a variety of american beers at the same store including liquor.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalik beer

Heineken owns the Kalik brewery and although I hate Heineken it doesn't taste like it, and that I'm glad, it's more closer to Corona I think.

The Kalik Gold is extra strength at 7% alc and packs quite a punch, beers down there get warm FAST when your outdoors and get skunky fast so you have to drink them FAST :-)

Try to stay away from ones in a highly lighted cooler, the light does affect them in clear bottles, thats what the brown bags are for...

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalik beer

I remember how much I liked Kalik the last time I was in the Bahamas (2000). I thought it was way better than Red Stripe, which I still think is perhaps the most overrated beer of all time.

Looking forward to knocking back a few in just a few weeks now...

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Orillia, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Nassau, Nassau
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalik beer

I love the regular Kalik, in fact sometimes I sign off as "Kalik Kit".

The Light version is too weak and the Gold version (which I have never had) is quite potent.

Only 38 days to go until the next cold one at Breezes !!

hardyston, nj
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalik beer

We asked our local liquor store to carry Kalik. We have cold ones in the fridge.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalik beer

Oh my but the Kalik Gold does pack a serious punch - Hot day, cold Gold, oh dear me.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalik beer

LOL -yes Kalik Golds put the wobble on :-)

The best cold ones I had were from Bay St Duty Free, great to drink while waiting outside the stores for the wives to shop and watch Nassau main street life pass you by.

(Have to drink them cold, before they get warm, or the last few sips taste like vodka or something?)

I still prefered the regular Kalik for best taste.

I have heard that the exported Kalik you get in the US doesn't taste quite the same, is that true?

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
New York
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalik beer

I am going to e mail fergies taxi to have a cold gold kalick waiting with my name on it for my july pick up ,can hardly wait for my vacation

Boston
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalik beer

Can she really have a beer waiting for you? That would be glorious.