We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group of 9 looking for things to do

Modesto
4 posts
Save Topic
Group of 9 looking for things to do

We will be leaving for the freeport in 2 weeks. should we book some of the dinner cruises and bahamama cruise now or wait till we get there? is there really a price difference? and are they really worth it?

We are also trying to figure out cab vs rental cars...whats everyone thought on that?

We are staying at the flamingo bay( hope its better then some of the reviews)

Belmont, Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group of 9 looking for things to do

My husband and I just vacationed in Freeport 3 weeks ago. This is their slow season, so I don't think it matters much if you book ahead of time. I would wait until you get there to see what you really want to do. Your hotel will offer you excursions at reduced rates. As for the Flamingo Bay Hotel, well, I'm not sure what you are hoping for or expecting, but we stayed there for one night because we were checking into the Taino Beach Resort the next day. The Flamingo is pretty run down and the rooms are small and outdated. You either get a room facing the parking lot, which is what we got, or facing the harbor. Maybe the harbor rooms are better, but doubt it. If you don't plan on spending much time in your room, it's probably ok. We were very glad we were only staying there one night though. The front desk staff, however, was very friendly. The pool for you is located down the block at the resort we stayed at, Taino Beach. The pool is very nice and has a swim up bar inside a cave. The beach is beautiful.

We did not go on any of the excursions, but heard mixed reviews from others that had. I would do a search on trip advisor to see which might suit you. The opinions are usually pretty accurate. It looked like the people coming off the Bahama Mama Cruise had a good time though and most definitely had their share of Bahama Mamas! I believe I may still have the resort reduced rates if you would like to know what they are. If you sign up for the beach bonfire, the food was excellent, but the entertainment was a bit cheesy.

You will need to take a taxi into Freeport or take the water ferry over to Port Lucaya for things to do and to eat, there is nothing within walking distance. The water ferry will cost you $10 round trip for 2 people each time and you will be able to buy the tickets at the front desk. You catch the ferry right outside the Flamingo. We also rented a moped for 24 hours (very scary experience!), and took it to the Lucayan National Park which is a very nice park with a beautiful beach. Overall it's a very laid back place, very slow paced, beautiful scenery, a place to relax.

Have fun on your trip!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group of 9 looking for things to do

I would suggest to book your tours in advance. This time of year this is actually quite important, though the reason is not what you might expect. Because it is low season, and tourism is minimal, what happens is that many tours will not get enough reservations so they will not go out. This decision is made at least a day or two in advance, sometimes more, so if you wait to book what often happens is you struggle to find a tour to do that is actually going out.

Conversely, if you book in advance, then they will know you are coming, and there is more likelihood that they will plan to run the tour. It's hard to leave money on the table.

Whether to rent a car is really dependent on how you plan to vacation. Most tours will either pick up at your hotel or are just a ferry ride away at Port Lucaya. Food is also just a ferry ride away. It costs $9.00 for a taxi ride to Port Lucaya. The beach is walking distance. If that pretty much covers your vacation plans, then renting a car is probably not worth it. If you plan on spending much of your time in the settlements or exploring on your own, then you'll need a rental car. You could just plan to rent a car for a day or two.

Flamingo Bay is basically motel 6. Entry level accommodations. What is nice is that you get to use the facilities at Taino Beach Resort across the street for much less cost. The pool there is the best on the island, and the beach is beautiful. There are watersports there too. The ferry departs your hotel every hour and goes to Port Lucaya, so there is no problem with transportation. Just don't expect much as far as the hotel itself goes - it's fine to lay your head, but not much more.

Modesto
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Group of 9 looking for things to do

Thanks…that what I figured as far as the hotel goes…hopefully not nothing to bad and we don’t plan on being in there unless to shower and sleep.

I think our furthers item we want to do is the deadmans reef. So that would be the only reason we can figure…I guess we will play that by ear.

As far as booking in advanced that’s going to be fun with 9 people  but I do understand what you are saying…I just hope its not just us on the cruises.

Thank you both for your help!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group of 9 looking for things to do

For the big boats like Bahama Mama and Fantasia, I would try to book those on cruise ship days (usually Mon, Tues and Fri) for snorkeling and on weekends for the sunset cruises to make sure you maximize the amount of other people on the boat. For the catamarans or the smaller boats, I think it would be pretty cool to be just the 9 of you.

Deadmans Reef is not a problem because they offer hotel pick-up and drop-off as part of their snorkeling package.

Edited: 13 July 2010, 23:21
5. Re: Group of 9 looking for things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 13:17