We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Freeport - must have hit a bad day ??

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Freeport - must have hit a bad day ??

Spent July 9th in Freeport. Judging by the reviews of others, it must have been a bad day. Next to the cruise dock there is a market place, with about 2 dozen stalls. Nice variety, but all selling much the same things. Staff seemed to take the attitude, show me the cash or get lost. One woman started shouting at me as I was taking pictures, ranting that I had no intention of buying her goods. I showed her my cash and made a point of going next door. We then took a cab into Port Lucaya to the downtown area for $5 each. The shopping center was just more of the dockside shops, only worse. Very high pressure. My daughter was physically dragged into several shops. In one, she was dressed up in overpriced costume jewelery by the owner, who then demanded that she buy all this stuff. It was so unnerving that when we arrived in Nassau, she initally refused to leave the ship because she thought she would be subjected to more of the same.

On a brighter note, the cab driver was very friendly. After the market , we just went back to wait for the cab to take us back to the ship. We were all of the opinion that Freeport is NOT a nice place. While we were waiting, we had a long chat with the driver. My overall impression, just from talking to that one person, is that in general the people there are actually warm and friendly with a very strong sense of extended family. The shops in both areas are very high pressure out of nessessity. And it was a VERY hot day ,even by their standards.

Port Lucaya Marketplace
Piers & Boardwalks, Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
The Art of Giving
Gift & Speciality Shops
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Freeport - must have hit a bad day ??

Your impression after talking to the cab driver was accurate. The best way to get a feel for the country is to meet the people. Then they get to know you as a person, which they very much like to do. If you don't, then you're just a walking wallet that's getting back on the cruise ship in a couple hours maybe never to return.

You'll encounter the same type of thing in many ports, particularly in Mexico - simply inviting you into their store to look around and "helping you choose something" is not high pressure. It's just business as usual. We're not used to it by nature, but that's a typical way of doing business in many countries.

In addition, this time of year tourism is mostly based around the cruise ships, which means if you (the cruise ship passenger) don't buy from the souvenir stands, nobody is going to, and the vendor won't be able to go buy food for their family that night. Combined with the hot weather and the oppressive electricity bills at home if they try to run the A/C, I suppose that doesn't help the mood.

2. Re: Shopping in Freeport - must have hit a bad day ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 13:18