We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

So we've finally, excitedly, booked our flights and confirmed our accommodations for our spring trip to southern Dalmatia. Only I've realised a last minute change of dates (from late May to early May) has scuppered my plans a little...

We're booked to move from polace to Dubrovnik on a Wednesday, but unfortunately I failed to realise that the ferry from pomena doesn't run on Wednesdays until later in the month. As far as I can tell that leaves us with the only option being a 6.30am ferry from sobra (ouch!).

Before I decide how much I'm willing to lose in sunk costs to avoid such a hideously early start, I just wanted to double check this is correct? Anything I've missed or other options for getting to Dubrovnik that I might have overlooked??

Wishful thinking perhaps...

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
18 replies to this topic
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

Ahhhh!!! Got it! Looks like we got super lucky and just squeezed the right side of the schedule change!

Thank you both so much for your help - holiday saved!

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

Ps: JoJo, is it you that recommends the cute studio apartment in polace with stunning views? If so, I just wanted to say an extra thank you as we have booked one of those apartments and are super excited to stay there. It looks perfect!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

Pomena is about a 10 minute drive/taxi from Polace. Your host might even offer to collect you/return you. I'm sure you will love Mljet. Husband and I have been 5 previous summers. Last year we went to Korcula and this year going to Jelsa on Hvar. Mljet is still our favourite.

Mentioned in this post
Pomena
Pomena
Mljet Island, Croatia
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

Yes, that is the apartment block we stayed in. The hosts are excellent, the views are wonderful. They leave tasty treats too ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

Thanks so much J0J0 for the recommendation and advice - we're so looking forward to our trip!

We're actually spending 4 nights on korcula before Mljet. I would have liked longer on Mljet but couldn't find a way to make it work with ferries and our flights. I guess we can always return if we get a taste for it though!

Mentioned in this post
Mljet Island
Mljet Island
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

When we were there in 2016 they were building a road behind Polace. It's going to be more peaceful now since the traffic bypasses. Be sure to check out the history of the palace (now ruins). There's a display of what it looked like in it's day.

Korcula has an interesting history https:/…Battle_of_Curzola It's a strange feeling sitting at Korcula Town and then understanding that thousands of men died in that sliver of water.

Mentioned in this post
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Korcula Town
Korcula Town
Korcula Island, Croatia
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

J0J0 this is fascinating and very welcome information - thank you so much. We will definitely visit the ruins, as that's absolutely the kind of site we enjoy.

Thank you again for all your help!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error

No problem! I love history. You will get great photos of the cove from the ruins, especially the ruins of the little church which is up behind the palace. Also, the boat to Sv Marija could be operating in early May.

Reply to: Mljet - Dubrovnik timing error
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mljet Island