We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 4 days in January 2016

Seattle
Level Contributor
686 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 4 days in January 2016

We spent 6 days in Chiang Mai before coming to Ao Nang. You can read my TR for CM here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k927…

Chiang Mai to AoNang

We sadly said goodbye to our home in Chiang Mai but it's with excitement we headed to our new home, Ao Nang beach near Krabi.

CM airport was easy to navigate. We flew with AirAsia. I bought our tickets on line several months before our trip. $123 for 2 one way tickets. This included assigned seats & up to 30kg of luggage each. I had forgotten I had prepaid for extra luggage. I was a bit stressed out as i had heard from several different sources that they were trying to gouge passengers with extra fees for overweight luggage (limit 15kg) & that the limit for carry on was 7kg. I wasn't sure what that represented so I was very concerned that our luggage weighed more than the limit.

The self check in machine was easy to use. Then we just had to drop our roll on bags at the counter. I had worried for nothing. Our roll on bags weighed 29.6kg together :-).

It was only a 2hrs flight to Krabi airport. We flew an Airbus A320-200. The seats were comfortable & the service excellent.

We usually only carry on our bags but we had to check in our roll on bags so we were a bit nervous about our bags getting lost of having things taken out but everything went fine.

The minute we stepped out of the plane we felt the tropical weather. We headed to the counter selling tickets for transportation. For our hotel, a shuttle was $8 for both of us but a taxi was only $16. We were tired so we didn't want to bother with taking a shuttle that might make several stops at several different hotels.

The way it works is you prepay for your taxi at the counter & show your receipt to an attendant outside. Shortly after a driver came to pick us up. We had a large luxury van to ourselves :-)

It was a 30 min drive to our hotel, The Aonang Villa Resort. Originally, I had booked a less expensive hotel but it was 20 min walk from the beach. At the last minute, we decided to bite the bullet & book a beachfront hotel. So this was the most expensive leg of our trip at $170/night for our room facing the Ocean on the 3rd floor.

We quickly dropped our bags & went for a peak at the Ocean & the surroundings. It was night time but we could hear the waves & smell the great ocean breeze.

Several restaurants & shops, pretty much all selling similar trinkets & beach accessories, lined the streets. It reminded me of Old Orchard Beach, Maine but a bit more upscale & without rides & arcades.

We had a few delicious dish at Massaman. Prices were higher than in CM but still really good.

You can see some pictures of our day here: www.travelpod.com/z/mjoeroy/9/1452754077

Cheshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report - 4 days in January 2016

Thanks for this report I really enjoyed it. We are staying at the Frog and Catfish for 3 nights in November, I'm looking forward to it even more now!

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report - 4 days in January 2016

I've read your report with interest (i'm going to look for the Bangkok one now). Me and my family are travelling to Bangkok next Friday for 3 nights, followed by Ao Nang, Elephant Hills and then Phuket. Thanks for the tips etc

13. Re: Trip Report - 4 days in January 2016

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2017, 12:17