We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Hi all! I'm trying to figure out how to split my stay in Southern Thailand from June 12-25. I know it's dry season in the east coast so we'll be at Samui for 6 nights. I'd love to visit Koh Tao, but I'm a little hesitant because of all the recent unfortunate events with tourists. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out where to stay from June 18 - June 25. Is Koh Phangan worth a visit (we're not into partying so no go on the Full Moon Party)...are there any other areas to visit?

We're flying from Krabi to Bali so we were planning to stay in Ao Nang for about 4 nights. Should I extend my stay in Samui and then go to Ao Nang afterwards? Or go to Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang? If you have any other recs on other islands we could visit feel free to share!!

We're in our 20's and we're pretty adventurous and outgoing. Love love love food and we've visited Thailand multiple times already, but never the Eastern islands. Thanks all!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Koh Tao is mainly a place for people who want to do scuba diving PADI courses, but it is also good for snorkelling. Koh Phanghan has some nice beaches in the north of the island which are not too touristy if the Full Moon Parties are not your thing. The Full Moon Party is on Hadrin Beach if you change your mind and decide to check it out !

Koh Samui is a bigger island than the other two and has a mountainous interior with many waterfalls. The popular beaches are Chaweng ( most up market and touristy with lots of resorts), Lamai which is less expensive and has beach bungalows and cheaper hotels, Boh Phut famous for its Big Buddha , and Maenam ( quieter than the others). The main town in the island where one of the ferry ports is is called Nathon and this has lots of tourist shops but foreigners rarely stay there, only some Thai tourists because it doesnt have a beach for swimming.

On the other coast of Thailand is Ao Nang which is quite popular with people who like rock climbing and also has some nice beaches. Ralay Beach is only a short boat trip away and has some beautiful scenery although it has become very upmarket in the last 10 years. It takes the best part of a day to travel between Samui and Ao Nang by bus or minivan.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Hi Robin! Thanks for your response. I actually just booked a couple of nights in Maenam and a couple of nights in Boh Phut. I'm thinking maybe just split my two weeks between Samui and Ao Nang/Railay then? I've stay at both Ao Nang and Railay and loved it, but I wasn't sure if there were other islands in the East I should visit since it's dry season there. I believe it's monsoon season in Krabi in June??

Anything different in Phangan from other islands or just relaxing and beaching it?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Hi Amanda,

Koh Phanghan is mainly a relaxing beach place. I found some of the smaller parties better than the Full Moon because they were not so crowded and you could actually find your friends at a beach bar instead of there being ten thousand people to look through in the dark to find them !

Be a bit wary of touts who sometimes tempt you to go to their set of bungalows claiming it is wonderful and quiet and relaxing on a remote beach. Sometimes the beach is SO remote that unless you have already hired a scooter there is NO transport to anywhere and you are forced to eat more expensive food because there is no

other place for miles ! Sometimes the photos of the bungalows were taken many years ago when they looked a lot better, or when you get to the place the type of bungalow you wanted is not available, and the tout who brought you there refuses to take you back ! That happened to me once so now I always make sure the place is near some other restaurants and bungalows so if I don't like it I can easily walk to another better one !

I hope you have a great trip !

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Hi again Amanda !

I forgot to say that if you are going to Bali do not miss out on Ubud. It is the cultural centre of Bali and has interesting temples to see as well as things like Balinese dancing displays( Legong, Barong and Kechak dance.)

There are places to stay around Monkey Forest Road. You can also watch people making batik sarongs and tie- dye material. The best quality they call " bagus batik" . The word bagus means "good" in Indonesian.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Hi

If I were you I wouldn't spltis ( waste of time to change hotel, check in and check out )with only 4 nights I would juts pick one beach. Both Bophut and Maenam beach are just stone throw from each other. You can visit each beach day/night by car only take 10-15 mins give or take.

You will find accomodations ( in general ) on Maenam beach are lots cheaper than Bophut beach. Bophut bech have an up market feels to it. But if you're there on Friday night don't miss out on Friday night walking street in fisherman village in Bophut. Maenam a have walking street on Thursday night.

I wouldn't suggest you do any more than those destinations you're already mentioned. Don't underestimate travle time between places. From Koh samui to krabi If you're decides to go by ferry + land will take you nearly full day. bangkok airways fly between samui and krabi 1 flight daily. This will minimize your travel time but it come with price as Bangkok airways is sole airlines fly this route.

Good luck

Orange County...
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Thanks! We're staying at a luxury hotel for 3 nights in MaeNam (just for fun) and then moving over to a more affordable hotel for 3 nights in Bo Phut so that should be fine. There's a ferry that goes straight to Ao Nang from Koh Samui that takes 4 hours so we should be fine. I think we'll just stick to Koh Samui and Krabi then and skip out on Phangnan since it's like any other beach.

And thanks Robin for your recs on Ubud. I'm most excited to visit Ubud in Bali!!! It looks soooo beautiful. I'm stayin in Seminyak for a couple of nights as well. Do you think Ulawatu is worth a visit if you've been?

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

There's no ferry from Ao nang to samui or vice versa. I think you misunderstood there. If there's any one can do it will take days, the boat have go via/around Singapore then back wards to Samui. And it will cost the Bomb.

I think what you see is bus + speed boat combinations by lomprayah company.

IMHO Ubud in genral is overrated too many people both locals and tourists alike. Extra care if you go Ubud market, the sellers are very aggressive. Ubud is full of shopping places its change drastically ( unless you out in the midldle of nowhere like Alila resort which will cost arms and legs ).

I like Saminyak area. Yes day trip to Ulawaru is worth it.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

Ah the ferry + bus combo is still 4.5 hours - not horrible and still doable so I'll do that. I found info here: http://www.ferrysamui.com/ao-nang.html.

I'd still like to see Ubud for my own eyes so thanks! I'll take a look at Ulawatu as well.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

You're welcome !

Of coures that only my options about Ubud. Everyone expectations is different.

Ferry samui is the agent, they are not operator.

Apologies to butt in answers your thread !!

10. Re: Samui, Phangan and Ao Nang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2017, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang