We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Brisas vs Secrets

3 posts
Save Topic
Las Brisas vs Secrets

We have been to Secrets twice and have absolutely loved it. Thinking of trying Las Brisas. Will we be disappointed or presently surprised?

Also,we love going to the beach or pool around 830 in the morning. Does the sun get blocked by the hills or buildings or do you have Sun first thing in the morning?

Thanks all!

22 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,723 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

Ron loves Las Brisas over Secrets and might appear soon. From my perspective, LB is too spread out,too old and too large by comparison.

peterborough
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

We have been to Secrets twice and Las Brisas once and are heading back to Las Brisas in December.

We really enjoyed both properties very much but they had distinct differences for sure. The food was better at Secrets however there was nothing wrong with food at Las Brisas. Las Brisas is spread out over a large piece of property with lots of walking up and down the hills but we were okay with that (lots of exercise). Las Brisas has 3 separate beaches with one being a snorkel beach which everyone enjoyed. At the snorkel beach you would not get the sun until I believe around 9.00am but the other beaches earlier. There was very seldom a red flag up at Las Brisas so beache areas much calmer. I believe you would be pleasantly surprised with Las Brisas like we were. The only reason we are returning to Secrets is the time of year and Secrets being Adult only and there is certainly a price difference to consider

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

Thanks so much for your breakdown. Very helpful. That's definitely my one concern is we have been doing the adult only for awhile. But the beaches sound enticing..

Minnesota
Level Contributor
323 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

We like Las Brisas, and stay in the Club section (costs a bit more, but worth it). Far fewer children than other areas (they make some pretense on their web site of saying "Beach club" is adults only, but I don't think this is enforced). Just percentage wise, much fewer children. Food will not be as good, but there's nothing wrong with Las Brisas food. Much cheaper, even with the "upgrade" to Beach Club. I like that you can actually swim in the ocean. Red flags are not up much, and it's a protected beach. Yes, it's older, but it was built back when Club Med (the original owner) had a choice of beach front....it chose this one for a reason. By far the best beaches in that area. Snorkeling is decent too. Pools are fairly disappointing...basic pool. It works, but it's not a spectacular pool area like at some resorts. But, we are beach people, so no matter at all. And, I LIKE that it's spread out. Grounds are beautiful. We love just to walk around and look at all the plants, birds, animals.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
323 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

And, yes, there is definitely sun on the main beach area early in the morning.

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

We have been to Las Brisas 5 times and Secrets once. No plans to go back to Secrets, but we will to Las Brisas. We are older and find the beach at Secrets to be essentially non usable. I would suggest Secrets is a pool resort, while at Las Brisas the large majority of guests are on the beach and swim in the ocean. As for sun the snorkel beach faces north east, and does not get full sun until 8:00 or so. The main beach faces more east, and will get sun early. The sports beach faces south and will have sun almost all day until the evening. However, it can also get some significant swells, and is not always swimable. We have stayed twice at Las Brisas in the regular rooms with a south view to the main ocean. It is nice, but there are very few of these rooms that actually have a balcony. The last three times we have stayed in the Beach Club area, and much prefer it. The rooms we like face east and you get a nice sunrise view and then some much needed shade later in the day. We found the balconies at Secrets almost non usable as they face south and are in full sun all day, unless you get some shade from the elevator structure later in the day.

Secrets does have a couple of nice features that we liked. One is the lack of reservations for the a la cartes. That is convenient. We also enjoyed the restaurant up on the hill for lunch.

Yes, Las Brisas is older, but we really like the Beach Club rooms. They are huge compared to the standard rooms at Secrets, and have a much larger/nicer balcony. There are no bathtubs though, if that is a requirement.

As for food, I would suggest that Las Brisas is more Mexican. At more off peak times of the year, the majority of guests are from Mexico, whereas it is mainly Canadian during peak periods. Secrets is more likely to be American and Canadian.

Hope that helps some. Whether or not you will be disappointed in Las Brisas will depend on your expectations. If it is about a la carte restaurants and the pool, you will prefer Secrets. If you like beaches you can use and swim/snorkel on, and large grounds you will like Las Brisas.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

We went to Dreams once for 5 days and then transferred to Las Brisas for the last 4 days of outlets trip. We spent 1 night at Las Brisas and then got the heck out. Hated it and moved back to Dreams. Didn’t like the food, room, service but the was 7 years ago.

Invermere, British...
Level Contributor
113 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

If you are a beach person, if you like a real traditional Mexican atmosphere, if you like to play tennis and get a lesson free from an amazing tennis pro, if you like to kayak, sail or use SUP, if you like to snorkel right at your resort, if you like Yoga or go bird watching with a guide, if you like truly friendly staff and very helpful and thoughtful management staff, then the older buildings and all the walking will not matter what so ever!!!! The food is fine and eating breakfast at the Mexican Restuarnt or dinner there is always good!

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

Thanks so much for your detailed review, much appreciated. I think we will give LB a try. We are beach people as well, that definitely caught our attention. Thanks again!

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Brisas vs Secrets

If you like beaches for swimming, snorkeling, and hanging out all day with drink service to your lounger, you will like Las Brisas. If you are expecting long beaches where you can walk for hours like in Cayo Santa Maria Cuba, then you may be disappointed. Las Brisas beaches are short, but the slope is quite gradual for wading and swimming.

Las Brisas seems to be a love-hate resort. You either love the beaches, and Mexican atmosphere, or you hate it, and blame it on the stairs, or something else. One tip is to develop a strategy for getting around. If you are energetic and like to walk, then this resort is a big opportunity. If you would like to minimize your effort, one strategy is to walk DOWN to the beach, and restaurants, and take the tram back UP. The trams are convenient and frequent.

Hope that helps some,

Reply to: Las Brisas vs Secrets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
Recent Conversations