We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weaving tour suggestions (preferably women's collectives)?

Mexico City, Mexico
12 posts
Weaving tour suggestions (preferably women's collectives)?

Hi there!

I am prepping to take my students on a short study abroad trip to Mexico City and Oaxaca. While in Oaxaca I would like to book a weaving collective tour, so they can see how textiles are made locally. As the course is centered around Frida Kahlo, feminism, and art in Mexico, I would ideally like to support a women's weaving collective if at all possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Side note: I am getting in touch with Vida Nueva, but I am not sure they offer tours explicitly. I have also seen the recommendations for Las Bugambilias ... not sure if Rene takes you to weaving collectives, or perhaps that is something he could arrange as a custom tour. It would just be great if the cost of the tour was also going directly to the collectives.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
153 reviews
1. Re: Weaving tour suggestions (preferably women's collectives)?

A good friend of mine who lives in the village works with a group of American women who import for sale in the US my friend's and her sister-in-law's handbags all made in their home in Teotitlán del Valle, from wool, as are their rugs, etc.. I don't know for certain if the other products these women bring up to the US from the village are made by women only, but certainly the bags are. Also, pretty well all tour guides go to Teotitlán del Valle, so it would be a matter of contacting a few and making a decision based on your assessment of the veracity of what they say in terms of a women's collective, price, availability, etc. If you want to phone me, my phone number should be around somewhere on tripadvisor, perhaps alongside the listing for what I do offer. Weekend days and weekday evenings are best. Good luck.

Alvin Starkman - Mezcal Educational Excursions of Oaxaca

Level Contributor
358 posts
657 reviews
2. Re: Weaving tour suggestions (preferably women's collectives)?

Check out women's collective envia.

www.envia.org

People at the weaving museum might also have suggestions.

Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Weaving tour suggestions (preferably women's collectives)?

Plus one for a tour with Fundacion Envía. They provide interest-free micro finance loans to women entrepreneurs in various villages in the Oaxaca valley. All tour fees go back into their loan fund. You would visit weavers in Teotitlan as well as loan recipients in several other villages, with different types of small businesses. It’s a really interesting program and a wonderful opportunity to speak to the women and learn about their lives.

Mexico City, Mexico
12 posts
4. Re: Weaving tour suggestions (preferably women's collectives)?

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone! I ended up meeting up with the women at Vida Nueva and they were wonderful, so we are going to arrange to do something with them independently: https:/…

Reply to: Weaving tour suggestions (preferably women's collectives)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted