We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

old ranch haciendas

Montana City...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
old ranch haciendas

We will be traveling mid Feb and would like to see old ranch haciendas. If they are in ruins, even better. Also, any suggestions for antiques?

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: old ranch haciendas

The largest antique store is on Abasolo, north side west of Calle Reforma. Another is on Porfirio Díaz, west side, north of M. Bravo I think but I may be a block off. There's a brand new one but I forget on which street. A very small craft store on Gurrión beside Santa Domingo has some antiques and collectibles. Sometimes in Parque Labastida there's a man with several antiques spread out for sale, but it's hit and miss. If you come across my article about antiques in Oaxaca, ignore it since it's outdated and the foregoing is more accurate.

There's a wonderful ex-hacienda, in complete ruins, and inhabited I believe from time to time by some people. Thankfully when I've visited there haven't been any inhabitants, but it's clearly being used as a home of sorts. I just put a small facebook album up with a few photos of it, on my Casa Machaya Oaxaca profile or page, but you might have to ask to be my friend to view it. There's another one, in the process of supposedly being converted into a hotel, on the outskirts of Arrazola, but I like the other one better because of its broken condition. You might want to contact me at oaxacadream@hotmail.com about getting to the better one. The one in Arrazola is easy to find en route to the village, on the right side of the road. If my recollection is correct, in colonial times it was used to process sugar cane.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Edited: 11 January 2012, 08:55
Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
2. Re: old ranch haciendas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 18:30