We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter weather question

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Winter weather question

Hello, first time to Oaxaca in a few weeks! I understand that mornings and evenings can be cool. Would a polarfleece type jacket be good enough to keep warm? We aren't planning to be in the high mountains or anything(this time), just the city and beach. Packing light is challenge enough, I don't want to overdo. Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
368 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter weather question

Part of the answer depends on where you are living now and what you consider cool. If you live in Florida or Arizona you might want the polarfleece a few times. If "upstate" in your address refers to New York, you probably won't need it at all.

The overnight lows are in the 50's right now, but that temperature is reached around dawn, and the temperature around 9 pm is still in the low 60's. We come from Ohio and at most we wear long sleeves on the few "cool" evenings we have had--or I take a rebozo to wear at night if the wind turns chilly. Same for early mornings. We did have one rainy day in January and I wanted a rebozo over a long sleeve knit top. But that is unusual for this time of year.

For the beach area, you will find it is hot and you will want loose, light weight fabrics. And indeed, if you do decide to go into the mountains and stay overnight you will want the polarfleece.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter weather question

Check out the 10-day forecast on weather.com. What you see there is probably close to what you'll get a few weeks later.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter weather question

Thank you both.. I always have a fleece w/ me for the plane etc.. so I should be fine. I was just worried I may need more. We were in Merida a few years back and it was unusually cold at night. jackets, scarves, pants etc.. Can't wait to arrive!

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Oaxaca
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter weather question

I was standing on a corner one morning heading to the laundry. I was wearing a guayabera shirt. Next to me was a man in a parka, wool hat, muffler, and mittens. One of us was crazy or maybe just personal preferences vary.

5. Re: Winter weather question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2013, 17:19