We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia - thoughts?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
856 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia - thoughts?

Hi all! I haven't been on the forum for a couple of years and haven't been to Mexico in a couple of years so I haven't followed any "big news." This year we're going back. I'm looking at different travel sites and for some reason Expedia has much, much lower prices than any other sites. For example, from Denver, CO, Applevacations and Funjet price Barcelo Maya and Iberostar Quetzal at around $900, but Expedia is pricing Barcelo at $550 and Iberostar at $622. That's a drastic difference and I have not seen such prices since 1990s. Is there anything going on with Expedia that I'm not aware of? Are they still to be trusted?

TIA!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
414 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Iberostar Quetzal...
5,240 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Iberostar Cancun
Iberostar Cancun
5,134 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
3 replies to this topic
Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,901 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia - thoughts?

I’ve used them many times with no issues. Wouldn’t hesitate to book with Expedia.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia - thoughts?

If you're looking at "flight + hotel" options on Expedia, check the flight closely. By default, it will give you the lowest airfare available but the flight times and/or connections might be lousy. To fix this, select any hotel and then click on "flight", you will then get the option to pick out better flights. Then click on "change hotel" and you'll get the pricing of available hotels with your new flights.

My experience with Expedia is that flight prices are the exact same as if I'd booked directly with the airline but I have scored some VERY significant savings on hotels.

A couple of things to note though:

- "flight + hotel" does NOT include ground transfers. Expedia will offer this as an add-on; don't take it - it's cheaper to book this yourself directly with the company providing the service (e.g. Canada Transfers);

- Expedia's customer service leaves a LOT to be desired. If you have to call them for any reason, you can expect to be on hold for an extended period of time (over an hour) and when you do finally reach someone, they may not speak English well enough for you to understand them. (I don't intend this as any sort of racial slur but the reality is that their call centre is staffed by people for whom English is not their first language.);

- if you make any sort of error when booking or need to make any changes or revisions to your original booking, well, good luck! This appears to be the source of most of the complaints I've seen about Expedia. So, if you do book with them, TRIPLE check names, dates etc. and make sure you don't need to fix/change anything;

- finally, ensure you FULLY UNDERSTAND all the change and cancellation penalties. This is another sore spot - people don't seem to get that when they click on that "book" button, they are agreeing to a legally binding contract .... and then they get all upset when Expedia enforces said contract! Correcting a date or a name is deemed a change and you will be charged penalties accordingly.

FWIW, I've booked numerous trips through Expedia and been very pleased with the outcome (and saved a bundle in the process) ... but these days I'm finding that they are not always the cheapest. As with most things, it pays to shop around and do your due diligence. A bit of luck from the travel gods doesn't hurt either!

Hope this helps and happy researching!

Mentioned in this post
Canada Transfers
Canada Transfers
4,706 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Hartford...
Level Contributor
345 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia - thoughts?

I have used them several times including December 2017and have had no problems. Actually we had a problem with one of our hotels that we had booked for 2 nights and ended up not making it there, the cancelation policy was no shows pay one night when I called the hotel they said they are charging me the 2 nights, when I got home I doubled checked the cancelation policy and I was right, called Expedia they called the hotel and the hotel kept hanging up on them after they explained why they were calling!!! Expedia refunded me the one night charge so have no fear in using them....

Reply to: Expedia - thoughts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;