We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Currency

Hello all,

Apologies if this sounds like a silly question!

I've noticed that the pesos come in notes and also coins. Are the coins the same value as the notes?For example is a 20 cent coin or a 50 cent coin the same as a 20 note or 50 note? So if i was to give in 20 pesos to pay for something could i use either a 20 peso coin or 20 peso note?

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
342 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Currency

The coins are 10 5 2 and 1 pesos the notes start from 20 pesos.Save your coins for the local bus

2. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 03:30
Edited: 08 June 2018, 03:30

3. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 03:35
Edited: 08 June 2018, 03:35

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
4. Re: Currency

For something worth 20 pesos, you can pay with a 20-peso note, or the equivalent value with coins.

I haven't seen a 20-peso coin, but apparently there is one though very rare in common circulation. It has the same value as the note, so you can pay with the note or the coin.

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Currency

For cents and pesos think pennies and pounds. So no 20 cents is not 20 pesos. £1 is about 25 pesos at the moment

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
342 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Currency

There is actually a 20 50 and even a 100 peso coin that is legal tender but unlikely to see any of these

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
7. Re: Currency

In addition to the 1, 2, 5 & 10 pesos coins, there are coins of smaller denominations with face value of 5¢, 10¢, 20¢ & 50¢. These are fractions of a peso, so the 10¢ coin does not equal the 10 peso coin.

Ten 10¢ coins equal 1 peso, and five 20¢ coins equal 1 peso, etc.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 04:10
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
8. Re: Currency

The peso is subdivided into 100 centavos, represented by "¢". Don't confuse the centavo coins with the peso coins.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
342 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Currency

I hope Clare is keeping up with this.Anything less than a one peso coin put in a charity box cos it won't buy you anything

Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted