We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I cant decide where to go!

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Help! I cant decide where to go!

I am planning a trip to either Mexico or the Caribbean for an anniversary trip in July (9th-13th) for my girlfriend and I, on this trip I am going to pop the question! She knows we are going on the trip but thinks its just for our 3yr anniversary. Anyways, here is what we are looking for:

1. The beach is the most important thing to her. The more beautiful the better. It would be nice if it was semi secluded. We don't want a Miami beach vibe, but we don't want to be on a deserted island by ourselves in a castaway sort of scenario, lol.

2. It needs to be able to be romantic. Amazing sunsets and views are a must!

3. I am in my 30's and she in her late 20's. While we party from time to time (like once a month at best) we want the option to do so. We don't want to be in a full blown party environment but we also don't want to get to 10pm and have nothing to do. While we don't party at home we will most likely want to experience nightlife 2-3 out of the 5 nights. We will however be drinking throughout the trip, mostly on the beach sipping beers and/or pina coladas/margaritas. Essentially we want a laid-back beach vibe during the day but the option to go out and party at night.

4. Day time activities. We will definitely be spending most of our time on the beach but some motorized water activities would be great. I would love to swim with dolphins, my girlfriend is terrified of sharks and things that can out-swim her, so she'll be watching from the beach most likely. I would also love to have horse riding on the beach! It would also be nice to sight see and do some shopping. Which brings me to my next point..

5. Safety. I have traveled quite a bit more than her (mostly in Europe and once to Acapulco) but she has never been out of the country, so she is a bit apprehensive of foreign soil. We want to be comfortable to walk about and shop and so on.

6. Resort. We want luxury. I want to room to be as romantic as possible. Ocean view, great amenities, tons of things to do (nightlife option), and AI. My current budget for this trip (airfare+hotel) is 6k. If I can save money, fantastic. But I want this to be a very special trip! And most of what I have looked at so far has been perfectly in my budget!

7. Advise on a place that may have fewer mosquitos. Yes, I am aware that the Caribbean will have mosquitos. However if there is an option that has all of the above and doesn't have a dense amount of them that would be amazing. Though I have lived in Florida, where theres a beach, theres mosquitos. Wishful thinking maybe? It's worth a shot, lol.

At any rate, any advise or suggestions from people who have been to both would be fantastic. I have looked at just about everything: Cabo, Cozumel, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Playa Del Carmen, Jamaica, Antigua, Aruba, Punta Cana, Etc... The more I read, the more confused and further away from making a decision I become. I am looking to book this trip within the next week.

Any advise or suggestions that could be provided would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
14 replies to this topic
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

I am a mosquito magnet so I hear you. I have never been bit in the hotel zone. Specifically Secrets the Vine. I think it may have what you are looking for regarding ambience. For more partying the Secrets entertainment staff used to takes guests to the clubs. Not sure if they still do but it’s just a cab ride away. They have special areas they will organize a romantic dinner. My husband just surprised me with a special birthday celebration at Okeo restaurant with an amazing sunset view.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

Sorry, I think the restaurant is called Olio.

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

Take a look at RIU Palace Las Americas

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Hotel Riu Palace Las...
7,281 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
764 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

Sunset views are going to be on Islas Mujeres , I am not sure about Costa Mujeres since I have not been there and don't know if the angle is right.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

Also an Adults Only Resort would be beautiful on Isla Mujeres. We are in Cancun now but with our kids. Playa Norte at Isla Mujeres is the most beautiful beach of all here

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,565 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Wilkes-Barre...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

I second the RIU Palace Las Americas.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Hotel Riu Palace Las...
7,281 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
159 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

Turks and Caicos

Mentioned in this post
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
669 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

If it's sunsets you enjoy, it means having water to the west, so if it's the Cancun area you're interested in I'd say you're looking at either Isla Mujeres or Cozumel.

Your budget is more than enough for just about anyplace. If you don't mind great sunrises instead of sunsets, want a beautiful room with a gorgeous view, great food & drink and great service look at Paradisus Cancun and do the Royal Service plan, which is adults-only. My wife and I had a great trip there last December.

Oh, and good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Paradisus Cancun
Paradisus Cancun
10,764 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Royal Service at Paradisus Cancun
Royal Service at...
240 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Arizona City...
Level Contributor
461 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

Isla Mujeres

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! I cant decide where to go!

I suggest Excellence Playa Mujeres or Le Blanc, both are high quality luxury resorts.

Mentioned in this post
Excellence Playa Mujeres
Excellence Playa Mujeres
13,425 Reviews
Playa Mujeres, Mexico
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
6,456 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Reply to: Help! I cant decide where to go!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted