I am planning a trip to either Mexico or the Caribbean for an anniversary trip in July (9th-13th) for my girlfriend and I, on this trip I am going to pop the question! She knows we are going on the trip but thinks its just for our 3yr anniversary. Anyways, here is what we are looking for:
1. The beach is the most important thing to her. The more beautiful the better. It would be nice if it was semi secluded. We don't want a Miami beach vibe, but we don't want to be on a deserted island by ourselves in a castaway sort of scenario, lol.
2. It needs to be able to be romantic. Amazing sunsets and views are a must!
3. I am in my 30's and she in her late 20's. While we party from time to time (like once a month at best) we want the option to do so. We don't want to be in a full blown party environment but we also don't want to get to 10pm and have nothing to do. While we don't party at home we will most likely want to experience nightlife 2-3 out of the 5 nights. We will however be drinking throughout the trip, mostly on the beach sipping beers and/or pina coladas/margaritas. Essentially we want a laid-back beach vibe during the day but the option to go out and party at night.
4. Day time activities. We will definitely be spending most of our time on the beach but some motorized water activities would be great. I would love to swim with dolphins, my girlfriend is terrified of sharks and things that can out-swim her, so she'll be watching from the beach most likely. I would also love to have horse riding on the beach! It would also be nice to sight see and do some shopping. Which brings me to my next point..
5. Safety. I have traveled quite a bit more than her (mostly in Europe and once to Acapulco) but she has never been out of the country, so she is a bit apprehensive of foreign soil. We want to be comfortable to walk about and shop and so on.
6. Resort. We want luxury. I want to room to be as romantic as possible. Ocean view, great amenities, tons of things to do (nightlife option), and AI. My current budget for this trip (airfare+hotel) is 6k. If I can save money, fantastic. But I want this to be a very special trip! And most of what I have looked at so far has been perfectly in my budget!
7. Advise on a place that may have fewer mosquitos. Yes, I am aware that the Caribbean will have mosquitos. However if there is an option that has all of the above and doesn't have a dense amount of them that would be amazing. Though I have lived in Florida, where theres a beach, theres mosquitos. Wishful thinking maybe? It's worth a shot, lol.
At any rate, any advise or suggestions from people who have been to both would be fantastic. I have looked at just about everything: Cabo, Cozumel, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Playa Del Carmen, Jamaica, Antigua, Aruba, Punta Cana, Etc... The more I read, the more confused and further away from making a decision I become. I am looking to book this trip within the next week.
Any advise or suggestions that could be provided would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!