We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Safety

Hi. I am going to Cancun with my mom and younger sister in a couple of days, and I am just wondering if the hotel zone is considered pretty safe. We’ll be staying on the beach a ton, but might take the bus over to a mall. I know most of the fighting is between gangs, but I could use a little reassurance from locals or recent visitors.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
6 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

You should be just fine. Just take the same precautions you would back home. Do not purchase drugs, or venture out in the wee morning hours in downtown Centro.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Myself and 3 girlfriends went in April & had no troubles. We didn’t venture out at night and didn’t leave the tourist area.

Illinois
Level Contributor
337 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

We just returned may 5th. We stayed at Riu Cancun, shopped and ate at many places in the hotel zone and felt completely safe the entire time.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Is it safe to be on the beach at our resort at 8 or 9 at night? My sister and I love to catch crabs when they come out really late. We did it last year without much thought, but is it necessarily safe?

Edited: 09 June 2018, 03:19
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

All of the hotels have a security guard with flash lights patrolling the beach after dark. It’s a ghost town on the beach, maybe few people here and there. We went out to the water once ( didn’t get in) after dark and weren’t stopped but it was kind of creepy, at least to me. I don’t think they are closed but go out and see what u think.

Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Just got back last week, took the bus to Playa Tortuga Ferry Terminal , walked all around Kukulcan and La Isla Malls, took long walks on the beach and then back down the main drag everyday and had no [problems at all. Felt just as safe as the previous 4-5 times we wnet to Cancun. There is more of a police/military presence, but did not see or hear about any violence when we were there. I would think the beach right in front of the hotel would be fine at night, just don't stray too far .

Mentioned in this post
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
2,486 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Reply to: Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;