We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin swim

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Dolphin swim

Hello,

Can anyone recommend where's good to swim with dolphins in Cancun?

Dolphinaris and Dolphin Discovery are the main 2 that i've found but just wondering is there anywhere else or are these the main 2 places? Any recommendations would be brilliant.

Many thanks

19 replies to this topic
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,114 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: Dolphin swim

It would actually be more brilliant if you researched how cruel the captive dolphin program is and how many folks here are against the practice . A simple search on this site will bring up tons of posts . It’s outlawed in your country and in mine , we should not go to other countries and perpetuate this cruelty

PA
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Dolphin swim

Of the two, I would choose Dolphinaris.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Dolphin swim

Exactly, Joan. I can't get over how many from the UK ask when this barbaric practice is banned in their country.

Clare, do some reading up on this subject. I am pretty sure you will feel different about it once you know the truth about what goes on behind the scenes. If you truly love dolphins, you would not like seeing them exploited.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
414 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Dolphin swim

You can check out Groupon they seem to offer some discounted rates and they get all most 5 star reviews.....

Cancun-Isla Mujeres: Dolphin Encounter

$109

$69

37% OFF

Cancun-Isla Mujeres: Dolphin Royal Swim VIP

$179

$125

30% OFF

Cozumel: Dolphin Encounter

$99

$65

34% OFF

Cozumel: Dolphin Royal Swim

$169

$117

31% OFF

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
327 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Dolphin swim

Actually captive dolphin programs are not banned in the Uk.The legislation involved is too financially prohibitable so the last one closed over 25 years ago.That aside Clare have you looked at swimming with whale sharks,much better experience

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
304 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Dolphin swim

Thanks @ luv2vacation. I didn't realize they had Groupon for Mexico excursions.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,672 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Dolphin swim

" If you truly love dolphins, you would not like seeing them exploited."

With the utmost respect to sunandsand, I consider dolphin swims to go way beyond exploitation.

However, I do agree that if you like dolphins, or animals in general, it's a very, VERY good idea to research this a bit further so you understand how the dolphins are captured, trained and treated (hint: "rescue", "research" and "conservation" have nothing to do with it). At least that way, you can make an INFORMED decision as to whether or not this is an industry you wish to support.

Although not without its own controversy, if you want to see dolphins in the wild, there's this - https:/…

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
5,174 posts
78 reviews
8. Re: Dolphin swim

clare

I have actually been to Dolphinaris so I can speak with more knowledge than many.

Although they do seem professional and caring if you look at the size of the pen's that the dolphins are kept in they are not much bigger than your local swimming pool. Dolphins live in pods of about 30 and can swim up to 100 miles per day so it is like keeping a Great Dane in a broom cupboard.

Not sure whether it legal or not but I am sure the RSPCA would not allow it in this country. Also if it was possible to have a Dolphin place in the UK I am sure that one would have been set up close to you in The Albert Dock

So please check out seeing them in the wild where they belong

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
327 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Dolphin swim

The last captive dolphins in Liverpool were at Knowsley safari park in 1985.Guess we have moved on.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
917 posts
92 reviews
10. Re: Dolphin swim

Can still swim with Dolphins at Seaworld USA no?

Reply to: Dolphin swim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted