We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujures gold cart

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Isla Mujures gold cart

Hello,

I'll be in Cancun in August and was looking to go to Isla Mujures for the day. I know you usually hire a golf cart to get around which will be brilliant but do you need to give in any id to use them?

I know you need to have a valid driving licence, its just i wasn't planning on taking it with me and didn't want to take my passport out with me.

This may sound like a silly question since its a motor vehicle but a friend who went last year said she didn't have her licence with her so they just took her room key and then gave it back when they returned the golf cart.

How strict are they with needing id?

Many thanks

14 replies to this topic
Southern California
Level Contributor
15,092 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

I've always been asked to leave my drivers license as a security deposit when renting from Ciro's.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

Where do you rent golf carts and how much do they coast per day?

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

Gomar's straight across the road from the ferry terminal will usually take a cash deposit but it's still easier just to take your drivers licence

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

How much?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

I've read from the Isla Mujeres forum that people take their their expired Driver's licences to leave with the Golf cart rental. You might want to post your questions there as well.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

Yes, you have to have a DL to rent a cart. You leave it with them and the cart is due back by 5 pm. The ferry in the hotel zone stops running back to Cancun before the newer ferry across town so pay attention to the times.

I used to rent from Gomar right across the street from the ferry until we got a worn out cart that wouldn’t go as fast as others. Now I don’t need to be going faster than other people but when all the other carts go faster and they are all running up in your rear and scaring me that’s when I stopped using them to find a newer cart. We took a left after getting off the ferry and walked maybe 10 min and found tons of places. Newer carts.

If you go when it’s fairly busy then try to be off the ferry by 10 am. I have seen them all rented out by 10:30 am before. The carts cost $35 to $40 for the day.

Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

We paid 800 pesos lst week . I think if you shop around and get there early, you can probably get one for $700.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

Don't understand the need for speed on the golf cart,the island is only 5 miles long and you have to slow down for the topes .So your saying you want a faster cart so you can drive as fast as the people who are scaring you.I tour the island at my own pace and if someone wants to get by just let them.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

Ray, it’s NOT a need for speed. Everyone else had a faster cart (ok fine, whatever) until every cart kept running up on us, one hit us. And then they would pass us, fine pass me, just stop running up on my tail and hitting us. After about the 10th episode of this happening I was pretty much done with that cart. Gave me anxiety after being hit, no it didn’t cause damage but after it kept happening i was over being run up on. This has absolutely nothing to do with me having a need for speed other than being run up on all day and hit. I think anyone would agree that’s not ok. Only for this reason I won’t go back to Gomar. Just for the record the cart we got last time wasn’t faster just fast enough to not get run over. Not trying to get on a rant but wanted people to know I didn’t want a fast cart to run around speeding all over the island. I had a reason.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 08:13
Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Mujures gold cart

Point taken,I don't think it's as busy when we go early September ,usually plenty of carts to choose from.Please don't go then I've seen you're history and I'd like to stay dry Lol

Reply to: Isla Mujures gold cart
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted