We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is uber allowed again?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Is uber allowed again?

I've been seeing some news articles indicated that uber is back (with some licensing they have to go through)

Has anyone been able to use it in the last week or so? I have a trip planned for July and transportation is one of the things I'm slightly concerned with.

12 replies to this topic
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,318 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is uber allowed again?

bus, taxi, rental car

No issues

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,870 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is uber allowed again?

No certainty about Uber yet. Last I saw the government is still negotiating with the taxi Union.

Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is uber allowed again?

When we were there last week, we had one night we were trying to go off property for dinner, and the hotel said no taxis available. What? No taxis? He said no sorry senor. The next day there was a lot of military in front of the Hotel (Royal Sands), and they said the Taxi drivers were protesting Uber. Not sure if how accurate that was or if Uber was starting or they were just protesting, but it messed up our dinner plans pretty good the night before (father not very mobile). I would not suggest taking Uber, if the military has to step in.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,870 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is uber allowed again?

The taxis were protesting and blocking roads. In this case I don't blame them since a vote had been scheduled on allowing the legal operation of Uber and others but it was cancelled and the State government rammed through a law allowing Uber to operate. Seems like big money may have gotten to someone!

When I am in Merida, things are good there. I am not an Uber fan but they have Cabify and other legal operations there. I use Cabify where ulike Uber, I can set in the back seat since their vehicles are properly licensed and registered. And they can have their cell phones and mapping devices in sight, unlike Uber.

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
99 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is uber allowed again?

Uber is not set yet, It's approved to operate now but still not running, taxis work pretty well in downtown Cancun normally and you can call them prior to needing them. But they probably won't be able to operate at the Cancun Airport because there are additional permits required, you can look up "Cancun Airport Transportation" for this.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,870 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is uber allowed again?

Uber always likes to complain that they cannot operate from the airport and it's not fair. What they don't mention is, neither can the taxis. And the taxis pay many fees and Licensing thay uber does not

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is uber allowed again?

I am not really liking the idea about Uber down there. Not sure I trust that.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is uber allowed again?

Uber is very disruptive to the traditional taxi business model. This scenario has played out in every place they have moved in to. And although I have no love for the taxi monopolies, Uber is no better. They don't vet their drivers properly, which endangers their customers. When one considers vehicle operating costs they basically pay their drivers peanuts.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,870 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is uber allowed again?

Well said , Bruce. Uber's original goal was just to put taxis out of business . Of course , you can imagine what would happen to prices then. And I know from talking to Uber drivers in Merida, they are poorly vetted if vetted at all. And, of course , since they don't pay the proper licensing fees, Uber has flooded the market there with drivers. Many buy cars only to lose them shortly because they can't make payments. Forunately, Merida has a couple of other services, who play by the rules and pay their drivers better. And they do vet them. One is the Spanish service, Cabify.

Merida has a new service that is Russian based. It is cash only and you name your price. Either drivers accept or offer you a price. It all works well and very quickly.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is uber allowed again?

I have not read any of the previous replies. But I promise you this you will not catch me in an Uber car simply because I do not want to be gunned down like a driver will be. And you can put that in the bank

Reply to: Is uber allowed again?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted