We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft and Destruction of Luggage

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Theft and Destruction of Luggage

Just arrived to our lovely hotel from a long flight and bus ride to find that our luggage had been broken into. We didn't notice the damage until we got to our hotel. Anyone else on the Air Transat flight down from Toronto today (June 8th @ 1:30) experience this? Both my husband's and my luggage had TSA locks on them which had been torn off. My husband's was torn off so bad that he'll have trouble properly closing it when we return. All of our toiletries had been rifled through and thrown all over. I had some costume jewellery stolen ( of course I wouldn't bring down expensive jewellery). We're not sure if this theft happened in Toronto or Cancun.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
40 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,891 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

If you have TSA locks on your luggage when entering Mexico, if they want to see the contents of your luggage they will just break the locks. They have no way of opening them.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

You can try contacting Air Transat about this but the time to have done so would've been at Cancun airport. It's very important to check your luggage for damage BEFORE you leave the airport. Once you've left the airport, it's going to be very hard to prove when the damage occurred.

I believe the departures area at Cancun airport offers a service that wraps your suitcase in plastic which may be an option if your husband's suitcase won't close properly - or you can try to locate some duct tape locally and use that instead.

And just to reiterate Robert's advice, TSA locks are only good if you're travelling within the US or Canada. If you're going anywhere else, the authorities may break the locks off, possibly damaging your suitcase in the process, in order to inspect the contents. I don't even bother locking my suitcases anymore; I just use plastic ties to prevent the zipper from opening inadvertently.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

Thanks for your input. Never even thought to inspect luggage BEFORE we left airport. Live and learn.

BC
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

Wondering why you would have TSA locks on when leaving Canada for Mexico? Tsa is a USA thing.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
United States
United States
North America
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,891 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

Having work for the airlines, I can tell you it is necessary to inspect your luggage before leaving the airport. Only then will the airline accept any claim for damage.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

I am sorry, but if you have locks (which are unusual in that it isn't like a broken zipper, very noticeable), how do you pick up your luggage from the carousel, AND take it through customs, and not notice they are broken/missing. You said so bad he will have trouble closing it...if this is true, then it wasn't closed properly when you got them, since they were already damaged to that extent.

Sorry, I am not saying you are lying or anything, but no chance the airline will do anything. Your story doesn't add up on a travel forum, it won't add up to the airlines.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

I use zip ties as well, still a deterrent but your bag does not get trashed removing them.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

Thanks Shaun. I thought this was a travel forum to share info that could help others. I didn't think it was about accusing ME of making up a story. There are zip tabs that hold the lock - when the lock was ripped off, the " hinges" holding the lock were also broken. By using some type of plyers or make-shift hook to pull the zipper as we have done, yes you can indeed close the zipper without the break in being noticeable. Sorry if I confused you or misrepresented my concern. Thanks to those who actually gave me good advice.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

Gosh it's so nice to have so many criticisms of what I've done! All I wanted to do is help others. We purchased TSA locks on advice from other travellers many years ago in Toronto before travelling to various parts of the world.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Devon, United...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theft and Destruction of Luggage

No one is disputing your advice but I think Shaun is correct I would always check my bag as soon as it is my possession, only then can you prove anything untoward has happened.

As for TSA locks I buy them, they are good locks but I am not traveyti the US. I also use zip ties which used to be easy before you couldn’t take scissors in your hand baggage.

Reply to: Theft and Destruction of Luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;