We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should one visit chichen Itza after Tikal

New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
should one visit chichen Itza after Tikal

Greetings to all. Wife and I are visiting Mexico and Guatemala in November. We will be in Mexico City and obviously go to see the pyramids, we will be in Palenque and Tikal. silly question. after all those, we need to decide what to do next. Are Mayan sites really that different so it's worthwhile to visit more such as Chichen Itza?

I am a big fan of Olmec Culture. what is the best place to see remains of it? after visiting the museum in Mexico City is it worthwhile to visit Xalapa

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,480 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
4 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,089 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should one visit chichen Itza after Tikal

After the ruins sites you are visiting, I would consider Chichen Itza a let down. It can be a large chaotic scene which is often packed with tourists and overrun with vendors. If you want to visit another ruins site many more I recommend more highly in this area.

Eugene, Oregon...
Level Contributor
127 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should one visit chichen Itza after Tikal

We have seen a lot of the Mayan ruins and have a running joke about "another pile of rocks". Yet we continue to seek them out as each is unique and offer a new experience. The architecture and decorations as well as the surrounding area is very different depending on region.

Chichen Itza is impressive in size but can be underwhelming after seeing other ruins. If you were passing through and had the time - sure go check it out but get there early to avoid the crowds. While in the area Ek Balam is more worthy of a visit.

If looking for other ruins I suggest Uxmal and the route de puuc. Or Calakmul and nearby rio bec ruins. Haven't made it up to Vera Cruz to check out the Olmec ruins yet, but I hope to make it there soon.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 04:39
Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,480 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
BC
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should one visit chichen Itza after Tikal

Yes, they are all quite different. Chichen Itza is very different, if you read up you will discover why. But there are always trade offs to consider.

Where you should be sure to go, is the tour to Yaxchilan and Bonampak, done from Palenque. Now those are 2 unique places. Tour is not expensive and can be easily booked in town.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Bonampak
Hotel Bonampak
119 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Cancun, Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should one visit chichen Itza after Tikal

Chichen Itza hands down! So very amazing!

Reply to: should one visit chichen Itza after Tikal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted