We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

3 posts
Save Topic
Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

Hello everyone! Several people in our party are arriving an hour ahead of us and we'd like to leave the airport together. Once you go through customs, is there a place to wait at the airport? Like a restaurant?

I know there are a lot of places inside, once you pass security. But I can't remember if there is anything outside, once you pass customs. Thanks for your help.

16 replies to this topic
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

airline names or terminals

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

I'll let others chime in on where you can wait but I would urge you to have a Plan B in place in case anyone's flight is significantly delayed or cancelled. I know such things don't happen often .... but they do happen; I've personally experienced a situation that ended up with my arriving in Cancun some 18 hours later than originally planned.

Forewarned if forearmed - and remember that cell phones don't usually work at 30,000 feet!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

As HG notes, plan A really should be that first group goes to hotel when they land.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
705 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

There is a bar outside of the airport’s international arrivals terminal. When you exit outside, it is to the right.

I agree that you should take separate transportation to your hotel. Even if the other party’s plane is on time, you don’t know how long it will take them to get through immigration/customs. On a few occasions, it has taken me over 2 hours to exit the airport from the time I landed.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,801 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

If you are all staying at the same hotel/resort and a few are traveling together than simply just go to the resort.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

I also can't understand the need to wait around....

1) You are on vacation, and usually very excited to get it started. No reason you can't already be at the resort, and likely unpacked, by the time your friends arrive.

2) I am assuming the reason for this is to share the cost of transport to the resort? Pay one trip and not two? If you are spending thousands of dollars to go on vacation, what is another $80? (Approx cost of private transportation) . Or less than $80 is you do shared transportation.

3) A busy airport where hoards of timeshare hawks are lurking and pressuring is the last place I would want to wait and hang out. Also, you said "several members of our party...ahead of us..." implying that many people have to wait on a couple of you.

Let them go to the resort, have a place at the resort picked out to meet. Most resorts now also have wifi so communicating should not be a problem (Use an app like Voxer and you can walkie-talkie one another through wifi, it is free)

Again, if you are exactly one hour behind, it wouldnt the end of the world, but there just is no great reason to need to stay behind. Any delay or worse and it is a catastrophe for the "several people" who are waiting to start their vacation

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Cancun, Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

If the resort is providing the transfers for the airport, they will be there waiting to transfer each group as they arrive, so you should not wait around an hour for the rest to arrive.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

My 3 cents: No place to wait inside. And waiting outside you'll be bombarded with a cacophony of people, heat, humidity, noise, honks and bus deisel fumes. Drinks at that bar are grossly overpriced.

Go to the resort and wait there.

Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

Hello,

Does anyone know the name of the bar? I am a seasoned traveler, my friend who I am meeting will be arriving an hour after me as well and she is a novice traveler. If someone can give me the name of the bar, I can tell her where to find me and then we will get our scheduled Canada transfers to get to our hotel

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
705 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?

I believe the bar is called “Coconuts”.

Reply to: Place to wait at Cancun Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted