We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Warning

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Card Warning

We travelled throughout the Yucatan between 18th April and 12th May when we returned to the UK.

On the evening of Saturday 9th June I received a message from my credit card company with a query about a transaction, I discovered that my card details had been used to obtain 300 US$ cash somewhere in the USA. This was an obvious fraudulent transaction and my card details could only have been copied during my travels through Mexico.

My card has now been cancelled and the transaction subject to investigation.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
14 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card Warning

Sorry to hear that Alan .But thank you for giving us the heads up to this sort of thing .we travel over in a few weeks and will probably now leave the credit card at home

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,860 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card Warning

I avoid using credit cards as much as possible unless for major expenses such as hotel or car rental. Always a bit risky, in my opinion.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card Warning

I only used my card for hotels and car rental, plus a few meals out, so it is very difficult for me to point the finger in any specific direction!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card Warning

This happens Maine's of time every day globally it has nothing to do with Mexico It's actually more prevalent in your country than it is in Mexico.

Use a debit card that way visa will they will refund you. Keep your receipts that way you can prove your purchases. Welcome to 2018.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 01:11
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Card Warning

A bank debit card I apologize for the voice text I am in a loud environment.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Card Warning

I am in my 60s and never experienced this before so perhaps I have been lucky in my own country and unlucky in Mexico!

My post was a warning to other travellers nothing more!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Card Warning

Thanks for the warning Alan. It sounds like your credit card company is on top of this but your post serves as a good reminder to everyone that they should ALWAYS check their credit card statements and report anything that's not a legitimate charge. I know one tactic of scammers is to put through a small charge first and if it's not flagged, then they'll put through a much larger one.

This is also a good reminder as to why it's better to use credit cards than debit cards. In the case of a fraudulent transaction, you still have to duke it out with the institution but at least with a credit card, it's their money that's been taken, not yours.

FWIW, the last time my credit card was scammed was by a car rental company in the UK. Within 10 minutes of my picking up the rental car, over $2000 worth of mobile phone equipment was charged to my card by a company located on the other side of London. Long story short, I didn't have to pay the fraudulent change but it was a p.i.t.a. and took several weeks to sort out.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Card Warning

Dear 628alan, sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. Almost the same thing happened to me with my credit card in Jamaica 2016 in Ocho Rios. I returned home to messages and emails from my bank. Thank goodness my bank flagged it and it never went through. Can I ask if you checked the date of the illegal transaction? This may help with your bank reimbursing you. Our's occurred on the day of our departure, in another town an hour away from Ocho. I never used my credit card ONCE during our stay which would seem to me that someone broke into our safe where it was kept ( it's really not difficult - there's a ton of YouTube videos about how crooks do this) and recorded the number and security code, using it KNOWING our departure date after we left so that it would be too difficult to do anything about it once you're out of their country. That's all a person would need to order something online. Unfortunately there's some "in-house" theft no matter how lovely or expensive the resort is. Our resort itself was not helpful and even tried to block my post on Trip Advisor. We now know not to chat too much about the length of our stays while there and we purchased a Pacsafe which is more secure than a hotel safe. Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident. Hope your bank is supportive.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
72 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Card Warning

My card company notified me immediately as they identified the transaction as suspicious and asked me to confirm if I had made it. This was only 40 minutes or so after the actual transaction so it will not go out of my account thankfully! The slight puzzle to me is they told me it was a cash withdrawal, I thought this could only be done with the actual card, which suggests it has been cloned. This is the only transaction on my account since I returned from Mexico on 13th May so they ha w waited a month to try the fraud.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Card Warning

Cards are fine for many (not all) places and are great because the exchange rate is so good. I don't have a problem with basic precautions.

Never let the card out of your sight, for any transaction, ever!. No local would allow this for a second. They know their own people all to well. The machine is always brought to you if you if you are not at a point of sale area.

Know that in a restaurant setting, when the waiter brings the machine, you have to tell him or her the amount you want to tip and the waiter adds it to the total and runs the card. You don't add it on the receipt after the card is run.

Only use a card without a foreign transaction fee.

Use a bank that has an app that sends you push notifications when your card is used internationally. It will send you a push notification on your phone the instant the transaction is approved, for how much, and to whom.

Reply to: Credit Card Warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;