We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

Source: https:/…2018.html

"Mexico’s federal tourism secretary, Enrique de la Madrid, says that Mexico plans to produce an index of criminal statistics that will allow members of the travel industry to show tourists are safe in the main destinations of the country such as Cancun and Baja California.

De la Madrid added that Mexico would be more proactive in dispelling false information, recalling the country’s response to reports of contaminated alcohol in resorts last year “too slow”.

“We will not tolerate any kind of information that is deceptive and harms our reputation,” he said.

“This was not contaminated alcohol. This was drinking abusively,” he said about the case of the death of a guest.

During a recent meeting with more than 1,700 US Travel Weekly travel agents, De la Madrid said that “The security measures implemented in Mexico has led to a significant reduction of crime in the main tourist areas of the country.”

“The only way to prove that many of the events and crimes that have taken place do not affect tourism or tourists is to show the numbers.

“We want to give you this information so that you can, in turn, give it to your clients and say ‘These are the numbers and this is the level of risk you face if you go to Mexico, which is almost zero.'”"

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Enrique
Enrique
109 Reviews
Mexico City, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
12 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,884 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

" “The security measures implemented in Mexico has led to a significant reduction of crime in the main tourist areas of the country.” Is Cancun not a major tourist area? In Cancun, the murder rate this month will reach the total of all of 2107, which was a record year.

Does anyone really believe statistics put out by Mexicos tourism people or the tourism people of any country? Their job is to masssage the numbers to try to make them look favorable. Hope no one really believes this.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 06:04
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

the areas of the MAJORITY of the murders is NOT the hotel zone....which would be the MAIN tourist area of Cancun, having said that...the murder rate is out of control, and perhaps if the police ACTUALLY did some real police work.....

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,884 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

"perhaps if the police ACTUALLY did some real police work....." And why would they start now. I can imagine why they don't.

United States
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

They lost me here:

“This was not contaminated alcohol. This was drinking abusively,” he said about the case of the death of a guest"

What guest is De la Madrid referring to? The article doesn't say.

There have been people injured that we're not caused by overconsumption but instead by the quality of alcohol. Mexican journalists have reported finding and disposing of tainted alcohol. They shut down a tequila distillery for bootlegging and having dangerous levels of methanol. This shows they are trying to do something but the wording above bothers me.

No Robert, I would not trust the Mexican government to report honestly. I agree that the hotel zones are still safe but a government that hasn't been responsive to cartel crime doesn't give me a lot of faith in general. Maybe the election will bring some changes.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

This year they've had 200+ murders so far in Cancun, and last I heard not a single arrest. The police it appears are looking the other way either out of fear, indifference or payoffs.

If anyone believes they will get truthful, unfiltered information from the Mexican authorities I have a load of male cow excrement for sale.

I would suspect that the work to compile & publish this so- called "criminal statistics index" is being funded directly by the resorts...

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,884 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

The head of Mexico's tourism group is Enrique de la Madrid, the son of a past Mexican President. So well schooled in putting out not very factual information. But really have no idea why anyone would believe any countrie's information released by their tourism officials. Something like letting the fox guard the hen house.

As mentioned by Bruce, they are likely working very closely with resort owners. In spite of some information being put out to the contrary, hotel occupancy is down.

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
739 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

Bruce how can you say there have been no arrests? Just the other day they grabbed 4 people with automatic weapons that were allegedly responsible for the murder of a businessman. They aren't going after big targets though, just the small time criminals. The local and state police cannot go after big targets in Mexico. Only the Federal police and the Army can do that.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

I was basing that statement on information provided in a previous thread: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15080…

If they've finally managed to nab someone, that's great. But that is probably of dubious comfort to the loved ones of the murder victim....

Minooka, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

Thx for the laugh today CoPilot ~~ this is great news, bet the results come out smelling like roses - hahaaa.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies

More like the fertilizer used to grow the roses....

Reply to: Mexico will produce a crime index for travel agencies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted