We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to exchange money

Level Contributor
124 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to exchange money

I’m going to Cancun I’m a few weeks. Where should I exchange money? Airport? Hotel? And how much should I have for 4 days with a family of 6? I will need it for tipping and for souvenirs I think maybe a couple meals but I don’t drink so that cuts costs down. Plus I will be on property a lot so I can charge the food to the room at that point. Not sure how much money to have. Don’t want to end up with a ton of pesos at the end that I can’t do anything about. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
4 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to exchange money

The best available exchange rate is obtained by withdrawing pesos from your own bank account via ATM. However, you also have to look at what the bank charges. The owner of the ATM will levy one fee - so long as it's a bank-owned ATM, that charge won't be significant. Your own bank will also levy a fee and this is where you need to be careful because some banks (especially those in the US and UK) have very high fees for foreign withdrawals. If yours is one of them, then ATMs may not be your best choice.

The next best available exchange rate can be found at banks and cambios; make sure you carry your passport with you when you go to do this transaction as they may ask for it. The downside here is that the nearest bank/cambio may be a taxi ride away from where you're staying, so that cost needs to be factored in.

Most hotels and resorts offer currency exchange services but the rates they use are not regulated. Some offer very good rates, close to that of a bank or cambio; others, not so much. However, if your resort is located in the middle of nowhere, by the time you factor in the cost of a taxi to the nearest bank/cambio/ATM, it may work out better to simply suck it up and go with the hotel's less-than-stellar exchange rate.

Airports are typically the absolute worst places to exchange currencies as they give lousy rates. Again though, you need to weigh up cost versus convenience. If you're only exchanging a modest amount, does a few points difference on the exchange rate really make that much of a difference to you?

FWIW, I usually exchange a small amount of cash (enough to last me a few days) at a forex place close to my home before I leave (this place offers better rates than my bank). After that, I withdraw cash from ATMs as and when I need it. My own bank does have a small charge for this, so I'm careful to try to limit my withdrawals to one every few days (rather than daily). Obviously, there is some cost to my approach but, for me, the convenience and not having to walk around with wads of cash, it's worth it. YMMV.

One last thing, sometimes, it's useful to know where a poster is from because then it may be possible to give specific recommendations on where to do a currency exchange in your home country. You may want to edit your profile to include that information.

Level Contributor
124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to exchange money

Thank you. Thank great information and I never realized my profile doesn’t have where I’m from. I’ll have to figure that out. Any ideas how much is normal for 1 day for 1 person? I’m assuming I should multiply that by 6 for my family

San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
739 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to exchange money

I actually found the Mexico City airport to give a pretty good exchange rate, almost 1 peso more to the dollar then the money exchange houses in the provinces. So if anyone is passing through that airport it is an option. The Cancun airport is probably pretty low since the dollar value in Cancun is low to begin with.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to exchange money

"Any ideas how much is normal for 1 day for 1 person?"

Depends on where you're staying and what you want to do. A person staying non-AI wanting to do lots of sight-seeing and excursions will need a lot more cash than a person staying at an AI planning to let sand-gravity take over.

Reply to: Best place to exchange money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted