We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed Question :/

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
113 reviews
Seaweed Question :/

Sorry I know its the ocean and I know there is seaweed. But I have a question, Is there a lot of seaweed currently on the beaches and does it very from location along the 7. We have been in Cancun when the beaches were almost clear of seaweed to other times it seemed to be an overload of seaweed? Just curious, Our trip is in a couple of weeks and my people are asking. Thanks so much.

94 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
125 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Seaweed Question :/

I am going this weekend and also curious about answers to your question.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
418 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Seaweed Question :/

It literally varies by the hour, day, and week. To make sure you enjoy your trip, I would plan on seaweed and just be excited if there is none.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Seaweed Question :/

Are you going to be right in Cancun? We are in Akumal right now ( June 8th to June 16th) which is about 90 minutes south of Cancun and the Sargassum is really bad. I know that's a fair distance away from Cancun but I thought I would share in case you were going to Mayan area. The workers are raking and cleaning constantly throughout the day and they just can't keep up. We still enjoy the beautiful ocean - just a quick step over the Sargassum and the water is still lovely. Mother Nature at work.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
113 reviews
4. Re: Seaweed Question :/

Audrey, Yes we are in Cancun Hotel Zone, top of the 7. We do visit Cancun most every year, missed last year for Cabo, And we have only had one summer in Cancun to where we thought the seaweed was bad. Other times nothing very noticeable. Just hoping someone could share how it is now. Thanks.. Linda

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,074 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Seaweed Question :/

You can always look at the live webcams for current conditions.. www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-cancun-playa

Wyoming, Illinois
Level Contributor
237 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Seaweed Question :/

We were just in Puerto Morelos and the sea weed was horrible on May the 30th but by June the 2nd was a lot better and got better each day.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
113 reviews
7. Re: Seaweed Question :/

Thanks, I have been looking at webcams. rancan65 I glad it cleared up some for you guys in Puerto Morelos. Linda

1 post
8. Re: Seaweed Question :/

We just got back from Cancun, there is a lot of seaweed on the Riviera Maya... so disappointed!

This is the first time that this happens to us...

Good luck!

watertown
Level Contributor
140 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Seaweed Question :/

Here now tons of seaweed

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
113 reviews
10. Re: Seaweed Question :/

What resort are you staying out? Thanks for update!!

Reply to: Seaweed Question :/
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted