We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

News of Cancun and Riviera Maya

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
News of Cancun and Riviera Maya

1.- "Sin popote está bien"=without a straw is fine--the new campaign in many restaurants and hotels to eliminate the use of plastic.

2.- Sian Ka'an At least two tons of waste were removed from the beaches of the biosphere reserve during the latest beach clean. Nearly 100 people participated in annual beach clean, which was part of the International Day of the Ocean.

3.- NCAA tournament draws teams to the area https://www.cancunchallenge.net/

4.- Don't say you got sick from the food if you didn't! False sickness claimant ordered to pay tour operator £10,000. Tui is the latest tour operator to underline its commitment to fighting false sickness claims.

5.- Quintana Roo is experiencing a period of growth with approximately 4,000 hotel new rooms anticipated in 2018. The destinations also continue to receive numerous international congresses, weddings, groups and incentive travel. Over 16.9 million visitors traveled to Cancun and Riviera Maya in 2017, an increase of 5.3 percent from 2016. The destinations expect to end the year with an additional 4 million national and international tourists.

6.- Although the State Legislature passed a law allowing the use of "digital platforms" (Uber etc.)to be used for public transportation, the details as to timing and implementation are still being worked out. Most people in Cancun are in favor of Uber (excepting of course the taxi drivers!). My Uber app used to say "Not Available" but now says "We hope to be able to be moving again soon in Cancun."

Mentioned in this post
Quintana Roo
Quintana Roo
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
5 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,837 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: News of Cancun and Riviera Maya

Thanks for the news, Jim. I am no Uber fan but think it is too bad Cancun can't attract some of the others as is the case In Merida. When there, I use Cabify. Great service, better vehicles and more knowledgeable drivers and a free bottle of water. Of course , Merida is overrun with Uber drivers since many of the Cancun drivers migrated there. An interesting new one, InDriver. You make an offer and then drivers accept or make a counter offer. Interestingly, it is Russia based.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: News of Cancun and Riviera Maya

Appreciate what your doing here,plenty of people have posted positive reviews after they returned who were very apprehensive about going,roll on September

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: News of Cancun and Riviera Maya

Robert what if they make an offer you can't refuse .

Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
440 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: News of Cancun and Riviera Maya

I believe it has been implied that there are never any arrests in Cancun. Guess they were wrong!

<<Former longtime policeman arrested for murder in Cancun

By Riviera Maya News on June 12, 2018>>

https:/…2018.html

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,837 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: News of Cancun and Riviera Maya

I think no arrests statement was one that is generally true. But nice to see they did make an arrest.

Raymond, I have not yet used the new service but did give it a couple of test to see what kind of response I've got. I always got many responses and I refuse them all. So far no one has come after me. I like the concept. A bit interesting to get in a rapid bidding war.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 08:55
Reply to: News of Cancun and Riviera Maya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted