We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Private Transfer

Huntsville, Arkansas
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
Airport Private Transfer
Save

Hello! I've looked around the forum trying to find an answer to this. I need a taxi from the airport to Puerto Juarez. (I'm not interested in a shared shuttle.) At most airports in the Spanish-speaking world I just negotiate a cab at the airport. I understand at Cancun there's a monopoly on which providers can come in. And the airport's website says that you HAVE to make an advance reservation. From reading the forums it seems like you have to go check in and get on a list and wait for one even if you have a reservation.

So: 1) is it required to have an advance reservation? 2) If not, is there any benefit to reserving a cab in advance? 3) Do you have a suggestion for which provider? Thinking of going with booking.com after seeing a few positive reviews here on the forums.

Thank you!

30 replies to this topic
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
10,969 posts
128 reviews
225 helpful votes
1. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE A TAXI FROM THE CUN AIRPORT TO ANYWHERE. All airports in Mexico are Federal Zones. As such all taxi companies that *pickup * airport arriving passengers MUST have a Federal permit. In Cancun, unfortunately, there are NOT any Federally licensed (approved) taxis. Therefore any taxi picking up an airport arriving fare (passenger) is operating illegally. You will pay an arm and a leg for these illegally operating *pirate taxis *.

The highly recommended ground transportation services @ CUN airport would include: Canada Transfers, USA Transfers, CARM, and Happy Shuttle. 😃 Contact these companies or search their websites for competitive quotes. They will be waiting for your arrival just after you pass *out of the terminal building itself*. Do not talk to or make any eye contact or conversation with ANYONE in the hallway immediately after you pass through the sliding frosted glass doors, which is the EXIT from the Mexican Customs area. This hallway is filled with timeshare touts who will even lie to you telling you that your ground transportation has been canceled. THEY ARE LYING!! Your driver and company will be waiting outside for you with a sign with your name on it. 😶

Hope this helps, safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Edited: 13 September 2021, 10:46
Bangor, Michigan
Level Contributor
113 posts
13 reviews
9 helpful votes
2. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

VM transport . Is excellent to deal with

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
625 posts
5 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

It sounds like you must have the perception that shuttle companies only offer shared ride services. A majority of transfer companies offer private transfer options such as a sedan, SUV or van. Book a private transfer with one of the suggested transfer companies and forgo a taxi.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
24 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

The Taxis who have a Federal Licence will charge $100 USD

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
652 helpful votes
5. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

There are many transfer companies. You can book on line easily and many have a private option. You can see your price as well and they will send confirmation to your email. You are even able to pay in cash at your destination of you prefer. Just choose your payment method when you book. It is always good to have your confirmation with you for easy access. Look for the sign OUTSIDE ( not inside) for the company you book. It can be very busy but just look around and you will find it. You can book a round trip when you book. It is very easy. Several are mentioned above. Don't wait to the last minute to book as they do book up. We use Canada Transfers but there are many excellent companies.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
11 reviews
21 helpful votes
6. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

What Lonestargumby said. Exactly.

All taxis at the airport are paying a bribe to airport officials to operate there. They are overpriced, unreliable , may not have insurance or driver's licenses, and are know to take you out of the airport and threaten to drop you off on the side of the road if you don't pay more then they've originally overcharged you. This is especially true at night.

Huntsville, Arkansas
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

Thank you all! I saw references to the "pirate" taxis but now actually understand what you meant. And I saw your recommendations for the transfer companies on other threads, but didn't understand I should give up the normal plan to snag a taxi and book with one of them. I just put two and two together that the folks who pre-reserved but still had to wait are those going for the shared shuttle, and they're having to wait for one to fill up. If I pay for a private transfer I want someone to be waiting with a sign with my name on it, so thank you for assuring me that's the case!

What an odd situation for an airport. I'm very thankful for TA Forums or I would've just shown up and tried to get a cab as usual.

Huntsville, Arkansas
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
8. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

Also, I have seen your posts elsewhere about Timeshark Alley etc... I've spent a lot of time in the developing world. They can bring their worst, haha. But I appreciate the heads up!

Edited: 14 September 2021, 03:10
Huntsville, Arkansas
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
9. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

Oh - one more thing. If you book directly through the Cancun airport website the prices are really good. Anyone know what company those are actually with?

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
11 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: Airport Private Transfer
Save

There are several sites who claim to be the official Cancun airport site. They are not. The true airport site dies not offer transports.

To get the best transportation possible without worrying about getting ripped off or scammed, book directly with the transport companies.

USA Transfers, Canada, Transfers, CARM, and Happy Shuttles. Use any of their sites for the best service, honest pricing, no last minute add on and you'll be happy you did when you see someone standing there with your name on a sign.

Reply to: Airport Private Transfer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.