We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break

2 posts
Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Save

Myself and two friends are trying to plan a week long spring break in Cancun towards the end of March. We are all seniors and definitely want a party place (maybe one we can actually sleep at?), but want to stay away from hotels that will have lots of high school kids at them. We're looking for all-inclusive to be around $1,000 a person for the full week. We aren't too picky in terms of amenities, but would like to generally feel safe (we at this point do not believe we will leave the resort for safety reasons as three girls by themselves). I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place that fits the bill, one website will say this hotel is good, another will say to stay away. None of us have been to Cancun.

7 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,342 posts
11 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Save

Hola Nicole.

You options are going to be kind of limited if you're looking to stay at $1000 for the week AI.

Have you checked out the Oasis? It's Spring Break Central. Highschool break comes a bit later then you'll be here so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

But I'll give it to you straight. It's not the best resort in terms of qualify of food, drinks etc. And the rooms needed rehab a while ago.

But their niche is spring break year round. If you're looking to be in the heart of it all and not add to your budget then you should at least check it out if you think you can be happy knowing it's shortcomings.

If you're looking for "more" then check out the RIU resorts. RIU Cancun will cost a bit more but will be worlds apart.

Vancouver Sundog hopefully will be along to give you his take on the situation. He's a travel agent and has great info on pricing and amenities.

I don't remember if you said, how old are you? I asked because some resorts don't allow people to check in unless one person is the group is 21 or over. But places like the Oasis who cater to breakers don't really care.

Good luck finding a place that has what you're looking for!!!!

2 posts
2. Re: Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Save

Hi Joan, thanks so much for your input! Oasis is one of the places we've been eyeing, and while we're not necessarily picky I think we are all hesitant because of some of the poor reviews, but with our budget we know that we will have to sacrifice some comforts. We are all over 21, so age is not a problem. Definitely just looking for somewhere with other people around our age since we are going as a small group. Will look into RIU! Thank you!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
50 reviews
78 helpful votes
3. Re: Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Save

Nichole, if you have never been your in for an excellent vacation!!! Most of March is spring break but the busiest week there will be March 13th thru the 19th. That’s basically the peak week within spring break season. If you want the busiest time that’s probably your best week but it’s also the most expensive. Prices will start to get lower in the weeks after that. I also would look into RIU Cancun.

Edited: 22 September 2021, 08:24
Penticton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
15,710 posts
149 reviews
329 helpful votes
4. Re: Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Save

Joan gave good info.

My First trip to Cancun was the Oasis at spring break, didn't know it went thru into late March-April. Everything seemed not bad in daytime, just noticed lots of spring breakers late evening caused some noise after Disco. Happens at LOts of Resorts ! Take sleeping pills !!

I'm now a Riu addict, and recommend their hotel for good value. The Riu Cancun has the Disco so guess you would say a party hotel and The other Rius guests are allowed to visit it. Make sure disco is open with Covid rules in March. If you need a Disco. Riu's have the Age rule for booking and only allow so many guests per room.!

IThe Oasis is a nice,. larger property, with disco and larger beach, Nicer pools than Riu Cancun. At the time all our rooms were fine, lucky got good view rooms , good entertainment and every very good food and drinks.

Good luck.

Va
Level Contributor
14,846 posts
16 reviews
33 helpful votes
5. Re: Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Save

Timing is everything. When you say toward the end of March, do you mean the last week? Or the second to the last week? March is a 5 week month. If you go the last week, you will probably be parting by yourself. The peak is mid march. 75% of schools are off that week of March 13-19. That is when you want to be there to party.

Being o21 will get you in, but some hotels have a no spring breaker policy. Rius being part of that group and it isn't uncommon to see a minimum check in age of 25.

Level Contributor
633 posts
6. Re: Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Save

I asked my nephew who was a Jr. at Penn State 3 years ago and he stayed with his fraternity brothers and sorority girls at Oasis but said it cost them more than a $1000 each for the week! More like $2500 including the flight.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
652 helpful votes
7. Re: Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Save

I would look into the the Riu Cancun. The reviews of the Oasis you read should be taken seriously.

Reply to: Cancun for College-Aged Spring Break
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.