We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding rings

Ang
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
Wedding rings
Save

I've searched the search engine asking if you should wear your wedding ring/other jewerly to Cancun. From what I read most people say, Don't bring anything valuable or sentimental for chance of something happening to it, whether it be losing it or theft, but I'm curious of how many people do/dont wear their wedding rings. I travel quite a bit, including Mexico, and have never really thought of taking my wedding ring off. Saying that, however, I just got an upgrade so was curious as to what most people do: wear or not wear?

18 replies to this topic
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
176 reviews
177 helpful votes
1. Re: Wedding rings
Save

Personally, I think that it's best not to draw attention to yourself with expensive items, especially in an area where most people are making less than $20 USD /day - wearing visible and expensive jewelry could potentially make you a target and also subject to "Gringo pricing"

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
50 reviews
78 helpful votes
2. Re: Wedding rings
Save

I’m probably one of the few that has worn my wedding ring for over 20 years down there and never had an issue. That being said my ring is not loose and absolutely no way for it to accidentally come off. I don’t ever take it off so I’m also never leaving it in the safe. I just feel naked without it and never thought twice about not taking it. I’m not too sure anybody else will agree with me on this…..

Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
739 posts
3. Re: Wedding rings
Save

When I travel I wear my ring sometimes but since I don’t wear it 24/7 there is greater chance of loosing it. A few years ago I was traveling around Italy for 3 weeks. I went to Versona & bought a nice fake ring to take on the trip. Stress free.

Texas
Level Contributor
806 posts
10 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Wedding rings
Save

When we go we wear our cheaper watches and as far as rings, we wear simple ss bands. The only thing I’m taking this year, and I might regret it, is an older LV Carry-all bag. Have had it for many years and really want to take it. I might change my mind before we go, but that’s the only thing I’m thinking of.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
5. Re: Wedding rings
Save

I think it depends on how secure you feel your rings are. My fingers swell and deflate above and below my normal very quickly in Mexico. I wear a plain band and had incidents with it. I thought I had lost in the airport coming home but it had slipped into my backpack when I was getting something out. I found it shaking out the bag outside at home. I also had an incident where it flew off my hand on a dock as I waved at someone. Luckily it was wedged between the boards. I also dont like grit in the setting.

I've seen people searching through the sand and I'm sure there is more than one ring under water.

It's up to you.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
6. Re: Wedding rings
Save

I think it depends on how secure you feel your rings are. My fingers swell and deflate above and below my normal very quickly in Mexico. I wear a plain band and had incidents with it. I thought I had lost in the airport coming home but it had slipped into my backpack when I was getting something out. I found it shaking out the bag outside at home. I also had an incident where it flew off my hand on a dock as I waved at someone. Luckily it was wedged between the boards. I also dont like grit in the setting.

I've seen people searching through the sand and I'm sure there is more than one ring under water.

It's up to you.

Edited: 22 September 2021, 22:55
PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
22 reviews
53 helpful votes
7. Re: Wedding rings
Save

I never take my wedding rings or valuables when traveling. I had a friend who left her engagement ring on the table by the sliding glass doors and came back to find it gone.

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
89 reviews
103 helpful votes
8. Re: Wedding rings
Save

I never travel with any jewelry that I am emotionally attached to. So, no, I do not travel with my wedding rings. I wear a gold band with a three stone cubic zirconia ring. And it is not flashy, just classy lol.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Wedding rings
Save

I have worn my rings for 32 years so wouldn't take them off to travel. That said, I've never had any problems so maybe I'm just lucky

Level Contributor
632 posts
10. Re: Wedding rings
Save

We keep them home why risk -losing or getting stolen during vacation!

Reply to: Wedding rings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.