We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction

Hayward, California
12 posts
Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

Hi everyone.

I know the question of being denied entry into Mexico due to a criminal record has been beaten to death with the general consensus being that you just don't know if you will be admitted until you are in front of an immigration officer, and I'm not here trying to relitigate that question, but most first hand accounts of being denied entry come from people who have felony convictions, as far as I can tell. I have read third party reports of people being denied for misdemeanor convictions, i.e. someone posting about someone else they know who was denied entry due to a misdemeanor conviction, but I have not been able to find any first hand accounts of people being denied entry due to a misdemeanor conviction.

I believe the Mexican government has released statements saying that you can be denied entry due to serious offenses with an accompanying list of what they consider to be a serious offense.

For example, this is from the Mexican Consulate in Toronto, but I believe the same standards would apply to US citizens: https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/toronto/index.php/en/faq

So, I'm not asking whether or not I can be admitted to Mexico with a misdemeanor conviction, as the general consensus in the forums seems to be that you just won't know until you are in front of an immigration officer. Instead, my question is whether or not any of you readers have any personal, first hand experience of being denied entry into Mexico solely as a result of a misdemeanor conviction?

Personally, I have a misdemeanor conviction for trespassing from nearly 20 years ago. I have entered Mexico 3 times in the past year with no problems whatsoever.

So, have any of you been denied entry as a result of a misdemeanor conviction?

23 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
800 posts
1. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

The problem with your question, and I totally understand why you are asking, is that if anyone has been denied, they probably aren't reading the Mexican travel forum.

Because they just aren't going back, ever. So why torture yourself reading about a place you can't visit?

Hayward, California
12 posts
2. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

You make a great point. However, some people who have been denied entry due to felony conviction have come back to either post their own thread or to answer similar questions in threads started by others, but I totally take your point.

Hayward, California
12 posts
3. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

In light of the excellent point made by Boylownerr, perhaps I should expand my question. Does anyone know of anyone else who was denied entry into Mexico solely as a result of a non-drug, non-sexual misdemeanor conviction?

I'm inclined to not put much weight on third party reports. For example, if a friend told you that they were denied due to a misdemeanor conviction, it's possible that they left out some details that would be embarrassing for them, such as more serious convictions on their record that they did not want to admit to you.

Therefore, I would still me interested in hearing any first hand accounts if possible, but if not, does anyone know of a situation in which you are really confident that someone you know was denied entry solely as a result of a non-drug, non-sexual misdemeanor conviction?

Thanks for your response Boylownerr.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
11 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

Before moving here to Cancun I was a practicing attorney in the States. One of my most active type of cases was DUI defense.

I had 3 clients that we're denied entrance due to those DUI convictions. No e were felonies. They were all first degree misdemeanors

I had another client who was charged with DUI but eventually pled out to Reckless Driving. Still a first degree misdemeanor but there's no mandatory jail time or intervention required so most consider it a lesser crime.

This client was put through the ringer by Immigration for about an hour and was ultimately rejected.

And I had other clients with similar convictions who had no problem with Immigration and sailed right through.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Hayward, California
12 posts
5. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

Thank you for the reply Joan.

That is very disheartening to hear, and I hope I do not have any future problems trying to enter Mexico (have not had any so far). It is interesting that your clients were denied entry due to misdemeanor convictions that are not listed by the Mexican Consulate as serious offenses that would warrant denial, but perhaps the list I linked to is not comprehensive.

California
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
67 reviews
274 helpful votes
6. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

Maybe you can just walk across the Rio, LOL! We don’t screen anyone here, does Mexico if you walk the other direction across the border?

Limbo
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

Since it was so very long ago and it sounds like the only charge you have, is there any particular reason why you can't get it expunged? I know that laws surrounding expungement vary widely, so this may not even be an option in your state. But in my state, it is often a very straightforward process for a single misdemeanor charge (after a five-year wait) and even single non-violent felonies can be expunged after ten, though I imagine the bar is much higher).

Hayward, California
12 posts
8. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

Thank you for the replies VacationDude and gbchayctca. Unfortunately, expungement is not currently an option for me.

In any case, I did not start this thread to discuss the specifics of my situation. As I mentioned, I have not personally had any problems entering Mexico (so far). I am just interested in hearing any stories of people who were denied entry solely as the result of a misdemeanor conviction.

Joan provided some seemingly reliable stories of people being denied entry due to misdemeanor DUIs. It seems Mexico takes DUIs quite seriously. Does anyone know of any other cases of people being denied entry due solely to misdemeanor convictions that were not drug / DUI /sexual?

Hayward, California
12 posts
9. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

Also, just fyi, the reason I am asking about non-drug, non-sexual misdemeanors is because drug and sex crimes are listed by the Mexican Consulate (link provided in my opening post) as serious offenses that would warrant denial of entry. DUIs are not, which is why I was surprised to hear Joan's account.

Leavenworth, Kansas
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
236 reviews
536 helpful votes
10. Re: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Save

Mike, If I were you and was truly interested I would contact the consulate and get a solid reading. It might require only the American consulate and it might require also the Mexican consulate. They would reply by e-mail or a hard copy. If they stated that there was no problem with you then if you did meet up with an over zealous immigration officer you could show him what the consulate has to say. Consulate trumps an immigration officer.

Reply to: Denied Entry Due to Misdemeanor Conviction
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.