We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sargassum

virginia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Sargassum
Save

Can anyone give a report on the sargassum and how it might be effecting the beaches of Cancun? Was in Playa del Carmen a few years ago and it was terrible, but stayed at the north end of Cancun 2 years ago and the beaches were clear.Go figure

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Pam
South Carolina
11 posts
1. Re: Sargassum
Save

Following

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,472 posts
50 reviews
78 helpful votes
2. Re: Sargassum
Save

The sargassum isn’t that bad in Cancun Hotel Zone. It’s coming in spotty and not a large sheet covering everything like years ago. Playa Del Carmen area was bad in July. Don’t worry about hotel zone.

Find a live webcam to follow and you can see the conditions. The sargassum should be clearing up from this point .

Edited: 26 September 2021, 05:23
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal, Mahahual
Level Contributor
21,435 posts
3. Re: Sargassum
Save

jc506,

I don't know if you are aware of this, but sargassum is typically present from about late February/early March until about September/October (and that depends on how much is in the sea) with the April to June being the worst period. There's typically little to none from November until the following February.

After June, it begins to abate, and I began noticing an improvement at Playa del Carmen in August (some days with no sargassum, some days with small amounts). In 2020, it was gone by August.

I was hoping someone would reply specifically about Cancun beaches, but since no one has yet, here's a media report about the improving situation...

https://www-poresto-net.translate.goog/quintana-roo/2021/9/25/recale-de-sargazo-se-aleja-de-las-costas-de-quintana-roo-285950.html?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=es-419&_x_tr_pto=nui,elem

Edited: 26 September 2021, 05:49
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
36 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Sargassum
Save

I'm in Playa Mujeres right now and it is surprising not too bad. When we were hear 2 years ago it was awful.

Reply to: Sargassum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.