We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My experience today at Cancun airport

Huntsville, Arkansas
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

I read all of the info I could find on here before flying into Cancun airport. Thought I’d say thank you for all your good advice and confirm it worked!

1) I did my COVID test in my hotel and they emailed the results 3 days (the max) before my flight. I uploaded them on the United app in the Travel Ready Center. 1.5 days later/about 24 hours before my flight, United confirmed via text that my results had been accepted.

2) On my hotel WiFi the morning before my flight I did the Mexican health questionnaire here: https://www.vuelaseguro.com/home. I saved a screenshot of the confirmation and QR code on phone. This was readily accepted.

3) I checked in online with United and did not check a bag. I arrived two hours before my flight and did not stop at any of the United check in lines; went straight to security. From curb to my gate was less than 20 minutes. This was at noon on a Thursday. I was so earlier I snagged a seat on an earlier flight.

4) As mentioned by others here, you’ll see people holding signs saying you have to pay an exit tax. Haha. I took your advice and ignored it; you were right! No one asked to see proof.

Happy to answer questions if anyone has them!

19 replies to this topic
Huntsville, Arkansas
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

Oops - should make it clear this was departing Cancun, returning to the US!

Texas
Level Contributor
807 posts
10 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

Thanks for your detailed post!! Really appreciate it.

Iowa
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
25 helpful votes
3. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

Flying United for the first time to and from Cancun in Nov. I’m glad to hear this was a good experience!

Edited: 24 September 2021, 17:57
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
77 reviews
107 helpful votes
4. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

Thanks for the great info!

Blaine, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
10 reviews
120 helpful votes
5. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

What happens if you don't have email on your phone (husband) or know how to take screenshots. All of this extra stuff is kind of stressing me out, and our vacation is coming up quick.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
132 posts
21 reviews
36 helpful votes
6. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

Sunny and Bright, before you leave home, you can print out the blank Health form (there are forum posts with the link from Mister B) and hand in the paper to security. Several months ago, they would not take my QR code for some reason and I used a paper copy I had brought with just in case. In regard to not having email on your phone....I’m not sure how you get around that? I fly Southwest and they email you your Attestation form a day before departure to fill out.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
79,726 posts
8,650 reviews
4,060 helpful votes
7. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

Thanks for your report.

Illinois
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
96 reviews
93 helpful votes
8. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

Attestation forms are also available at the airport in paper form.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas, Cozumel
Level Contributor
14,591 posts
9. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

The airlines have to have options to collect all information without a phone. Some of us are visually impaired and do not have phones...and I still fly!! Never seems to be a problem. Testing is not a problem in Mexico...they even give extra copies to send to your insurance company for reimbursement on your insurance. I believe that Mexico is much more aware than the USA of people with disabilities and are always there to offer up assistance.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
83 reviews
359 helpful votes
10. Re: My experience today at Cancun airport
Save

Sunny: who are you travelling with? If you ask at the check-in desk (and insist!), they have printed forms you can fill in for the QR code; so much easier! We are "technically challenged" and after the first debacle where I downloaded the form beforehand at home and they wouldn't accept it (has to be within 24hrs) and then there was the s@#t-show at the airport trying to download it, we have been three times and the airline has given us the form at the check-in desk. This was with both American and Jet Blue. This is NOT the attestations form which they give you automatically. This is the form with the QR code - tho why it is used is beyond me! You hand it in at security, and nothing is done with it... lip service, basically.

Reply to: My experience today at Cancun airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.