We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much spending money??

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rochester,kent,uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
how much spending money??

i'm going to the riu cancun on the 18th of june (all inc) how much extra spending money should i take?? i would like to go clubbing at least a couple of times!!

CENTRAL WI
Level Contributor
775 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much spending money??

65 times 2 = 130

gifts to take home/ tee shirts etc 60 ish

resort tipping $ s / 40-50 // THE BUS

i would say 400.00 usd

this would be for a weeks stay/

imo

rochester,kent,uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much spending money??

great!! ive got 250 english to change into dollars so i should have more then enough!! much appreciated!!

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how much spending money??

I leave June 9 and just toook $3000 from the bank, money is not heavy and I can always take home what Ido not use. Plus even staying at AI's usually yoy go out for some meals because AI's offer average food at best and my experience is you cannot tolerate 7 days of AI food

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much spending money??

I take $1000.00 US for a week and always take $200.00-$300.00 back home.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much spending money??

It depends what you want to do, clubs, trips, souveneirs, tipping, eating/drinking outside your hotel.

Better take to much, than turning every penny down

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much spending money??

leaving monday for the JW MArriott and taking $800. HAve 2 excursions planned for Tuesday (zipline) and Wednesday (Isla Muejer). Will have a credit card just for emergency use if needed.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much spending money??

I would say 1000 usd and you'll be fine, depending on how much are the excursions you want to do.

I dont think you have to spend that much while eating outside the hotel, if you want to save money you can always have some delicious tacos (instead of a lobster dinner, for example) and keep the money for other things such as souvenirs, tips, etc

Norfolk
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much spending money??

Totally dependant on the individual. Most hotels do the pay $50.00 per person and they will take you to the clubs and get you in with a "vip" area and all your drinks are included in the price.

IF the hotel food is good enough then you may not need to eat off site, we stayed at The Royal and the food there was awesome and the only other time we ate off site was on a night cruise on a spanish boat with bbq and to be honest the food was NOT as good as the hotel.

We went for two weeks and spent and spent about $1200.00 and $500.00 of that was a gold bracelet from the jewelry shop in the hotel.

Be warned that some of the shopping areas, La Isla for instance, are not cheap.. worth a visit as they are very pituresque but expensive all the same...

Even though tipping is not expected in resorts it is very much appreciated and you can get great reward by tipping the right people so do take that into consideration as in total we possibly spent $300.00 on tipping alone BUT it was really deserved !!!

You will have a really good time whatever you do and I still keep in touch with people who work at the resort we stayed !!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much spending money??

Can't you simply use a credit card for purchasing souvenirs, etc?

We are headed down to Cancun for the first time next Friday. I had only planned on bringing cash for tips but after reading this thread, maybe I should bring more.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much spending money??

Again, it is purely dependant on the individual.

I know some people do only bring a little cash and rely upon their cards for the rest, my post was merely regarding how much, in total, you may expect to spend whether it be cash, plastic or an accumulation of both.

The money I spoke about was a combination of cash and plastic.. we took $1200.00 cash.

We did actually spend a fair bit more but only because we paid to upgrade hotels upon arrival due to an "issue" on our first night at the Grand Caribe Real causing us to pay for The Royal !!!

You will absolutely love Cancun, we wanted to go back but at the time I booked our trip it was out of the question, due to swine flu, so we booked Aruba instead (fly out next Wed)... will deffo return within the next year though !!