We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Hampton, Georgia
4 posts
Save Topic
Car rental

My husband,two kids (under6),and I will be staying at Hotel Cozumel in July. We will be flying into CUN. I want to rent a car to get to Cozumel, explore Cozumel, go to Tulum, and get back to CUN. My question is this: is it more cost effective to rent the car from CUN airport and just pay for the car ferry or should I just take a bus/ferry to Cozumel and rent a car once I get there?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
1,943 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
39 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

Rent the car once you arrive on Cozumel.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,858 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

As Chris said, rent the car once you arrive in Cozumel. For the best rental experience along with all included rates, many of us suggest using Rentadora Isis. Do contact in advance to make sure your car will be available upon arrival.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 16:35
Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

Yes just take the ADO bus to Playa and the ferry terminal, or a private transfer like Canada Transfers if you prefer that. But the ADO bus is very nice and the terminal close to the ferry.

Agree with ISIS Rentadora on Coz. Margarita's nephew Edgar runs the ISIS office in Playa so she can have him prepare a rental for the Tulum and CUN portion of your trip when you ferry back to Playa. He would meet you near the terminal, or his office is just a few blocks away on Calle 4 between Ave 10 y 15. Edgar will also meet you at the CUN terminal when you return the car, very convenient. You will also get a substantially lower rate if you pay in pesos rather than cc.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 23:45
Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
609 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Canada Transfers
Canada Transfers
4,693 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Hampton, Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

I just looked at ISIS rental and it's substantially more expensive than enterprise or budget 😕

Texas
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

Is your Enterprise and/or Budget quote INCLUDING insurance? Isis prices include insurance. I would only ever rent from Isis, Thrifty and maybe Fiesta.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,739 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

"I just looked at ISIS rental and it's substantially more expensive than enterprise or budget"

Add in insurance for the others. Don't assume that US branded agencies provide US style service.

fort worth
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental

It seems more expensive because Isis is honest unlike the other rental places. Actually, they are cheaper.

Hampton, Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental

Yes, it is including insurance and carseats for the kids. I did a quick quote online. I've rented from budget before for a cross country trip and I didn't have any problems. I was just wondering if the ferry ride is a hassle and worth it or not.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental

The car ferry is expensive and you gotta get there early and wait in line for maybe an hour to ensure that you get on. It's hot. It sucks. And there aren't anywhere near as many crossings per day as the passenger ferry. Do yourself a favor and just don't do it. Budget in the U.S. and Budget in Mexico aren't the same at all. They just pay to be able to use the Budget name in Mexico. Just don't do it. Please do lots of research on different car rental companies.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental

>> just looked at ISIS rental and it's substantially more expensive than enterprise or budget 😕 <<

For a small outfit you should never “just look” and go only by the daily or weekly price on the site - always, ALWAYS request a quote.

We were using America on the RM but realized we could have the car delivered to the terminal (or anywhere) for a competitive price, plus the price is always negotiable with a small outfit.

And as mentioned you can often save a bundle by paying in pesos which is the case in most situations.

Oh - and the service and support is so much better!

Edited: 10 June 2018, 11:52
Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;