We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe restaurants to eat at with an Alpha Galactose allergy?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Safe restaurants to eat at with an Alpha Galactose allergy?

My sister was bitten by a Lone Star tick, and now has a life-threatening reaction to eating any red meat. Are there any restaurant recommendations where we could explain this, and not worry about cross-contamination? It would be nice to be able to eat out a few meals, and would gladly tip accordingly for their trouble.

Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
390 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe restaurants to eat at with an Alpha Galactose allergy?

That's so interesting, I am sorry to hear it.

I assume you are worried about a cooking surface that has had beef cooked on it before the fish, veggies or poultry you order.

But wouldn't the heat denature what little bits of meat would be on the grill or cooking surface? What are the recommendations for eating out?

I suppose you could bring some tin foil with you and ask your food to be cooked on the tinfoil.

Otherwise I would pick a not busy place, explain and if you are comfortable that they understand, eat there. Otherwise go some place else.

Also there are multiple chicken rotisserie places. Some are carryout. The one we go to only has chicken so no cross contamination. It's on 35th, there are many of them. We love their chicken.

And bring multiple epi pens.

Good luck!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe restaurants to eat at with an Alpha Galactose allergy?

My first general thought is that many small restaurants will serve only seafood of many types and would be a place to start research and of course vegan places and that bar b que or rotisserie chicken is usually the only product as mentioned.

My second general thought is of more concern over the widespread use of pork fat as a frying medium and if the sensitivity extends to the fat. Even diligent and co operative, well meaning, chefs might not consider this common use of pork oil as we might use corn oil. Someone else had a warning for the vegetarians based on an ethical choice reasoning that their tortillas might have been fried in pork fat the whole trip.

There are translation cards for some sensitivities and more dangerous conditions and you can print them or possibly write your own in this case. There are many names for pork products to include. It would be important to stress medical necessity and not a trending diet choice behind your concerns.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe restaurants to eat at with an Alpha Galactose allergy?

Life threatening? Too much of a risk I would just rent a condo and make all my own food.

Reply to: Safe restaurants to eat at with an Alpha Galactose allergy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted