We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

Level Contributor
151 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

In the past, we have always gotten Pesos from our bank before we leave. My wife works at the bank so there is a discount on the exchange rate. If the exchange rate was 20:1, we would typically get 19:1 or so from the bank.

If we got pesos from the ATM in Cozumel, would we get the 20:1 exchange rate? We do not pay ATM fees, since my wife works at the bank.

I understand to get the Pesos at Mega or Chedraui, not on the street in the middle of town at 2:00 in the morning.

Thanks for your help.

8 replies to this topic
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

That's about what I got at Chedraui. Rate was 19 and I got about 18.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,777 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

Either way sounds good.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

I used Citibank card at Banamex ATM. No fee since banamex is under Citigroup. Rate is higher than exchange rate that day. 19.95 vs. a bit higher than 20.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,908 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

Today the official rate at Banamex is 20.53. So at the ATM such as the one in Chedraui will give slightly less or about 20. With the peso weakening daily, it would pay to take money from a Cozumel ATM after you arrive. While the Mega and Chedraui locations are good , safe ones, plenty of other safe bank machine options available around town.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

Mega offered 20:1 for their exchange last night. But you are not getting a lot of "operating cash" back from them in a purchase mode.

Wells Fargo is my bank and I have ordered pesos in the past from them, but their "send you the pesos" exchange rate is not as good as an ATM. Granted there was no ATM fee, but the $5 WF charges me in an ATM fee was a lot less than what I lost in the exchange rate when they sent me pesos. Living down here, there are other and better ways to get a lot more pesos sent to me, but for small amounts, the ATM works fine.

There are three bank affiliated ATM's in the airport just to the left and down the hall as you exit customs if you want to get them at the start of your trip.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

My US banks give me an exchange rate very close to the interbank rate and don't charge foreign exchange fees or ATM fees. I really do not think that's any worse than what I'd get at a bank, and it's much more convenient. I don't like to travel or walk around with much money, so I prefer using ATM's anyway.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

The ATM doesnt decide the exchange rate you get, your bank does.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank

I just ordered pesos from Regions bank yesterday, I got 20.43 and was charged 5$ fee to order the pesos. I get them tomorrow. When ordering from your bank you can also ask for particular bills you want, I requested all 200 peso bills. I'm getting a little over 100 200$peso bills lol.

Reply to: Exchange rate at Coz ATM versus US Bank
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted