We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship Days?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Ship Days?

We will be on Coz at a resort next week and some of us might want to go walk around town and the touristy shops. I might want ride the bus around.

Are there any days of the week with fewer cruise ships in port, when the crowds will be less?

Cozumel Palace
Cozumel Palace
#4 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
#5 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
The Explorean Cozumel
The Explorean Cozumel
#6 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
10 replies to this topic
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

Sunday

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,631 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

As an aside to the question, if one wanted to visit Coz for the day would many beach bars and shops be closed on Sunday?

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

The only places I know of that are generally closed on Sunday are the government attractions like Chankanaab, Punta Sur, Del Museo (closed now for renovation), Discover Mexico.

Bucanno's is open on Sunday but there is no snorkel gear or locker rental on Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Discover Mexico Park Cozumel
Discover Mexico Park...
1,981 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,237 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

A lot of the shops are closed on Sunday. But honestly the cruise ships and the people they bring are not that big of a deal. The only issue I see is with all the taxi traffic around Puerta Maya and the congestion it brings. But the people are so spread out, I wouldn't call it a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Puerta Maya
Puerta Maya
93 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

I agree with Mark on this one. The cruise crowd is normally no problem at all for us either. Only one day when we decided to do gift shopping it turned out there were 9 boats in port. We quickly realized our error, hopped in the car and headed east to shop another day. ;)

Texas
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

This is my favorite store in town. The website says they're open Sunday 11 to 5 but I wouldn't count on it. They were closed on sunday last time I was there. They open at 9 and close at 7. Go early. Or go late.

Some places are closed Sunday but you'll find plenty of beach bars/clubs, stores and restaurants open.

The bus? You mean collectivo? You won't find a single cruiser on there. The sidewalks on the main drag (Melgar) can get very congested w/ cruise traffic. Just walk on the ocean side of the road...it's nice.

We've enjoyed Buccano's very much on Sundays.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

Use this as a guide, too. Many days there will only be a couple of ships in...compared to the winter time when a couple of days there were 8 in...no docking space for more than 6...so 2 just floated around in front of the downtown area and tendered in. I stayed at the hotel that day and enjoyed the sunshine and reading. Went out for dinner at sunset and the town was empty!!!

…cruisett.com/schedule/Mexico/155-Cozumel

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

Good point by Judy. Town starts to clear out fairly early with many heading back to their ships by 4.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

So funny Robert...I had not been in Cozumel for years...except just the daily ferry over to do my hotel/condo photos...with no time to eat...just run!! So when I arrived in January...I wanted to scope out a nice restaurant for my up coming birthday in like 4 days. I walked around after sunset...and it was totally amazing. I came back to the hotel and asked so innocently...why are all the restaurants empty? They laughed politely...not critically ever...and said...well...the ships left...and the all inclusives do dinners...so it is just you and me!!! I am used to really busy restaurants in other places in Mexico...and that is always good sign if they are full of Mexicans/Nationals or locals is always my gauge. WOW...quick lesson learned...and had a huge birthday party...surprised me totally...from complete strangers and waiters!!! Traveling alone does get noticed...and everyone said...well you can't be alone on your birthday!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise Ship Days?

LOL - great story TravelJudy. 'that is always good sign if they are full of Mexicans/Nationals or locals is always my gauge.'

My gauge too! we were in Cabo fishing with my brother-in-Law and Nephew and we were looking for a place for dinner. We walked along the waterfront at the marina and they have the usual overpriced places. Then I said, 'let's go back a bit.' about 6 blocks back we saw this good sized restaurant packed with nothing but locals. I stopped and said, 'Guys, this is what a good restaurant in Mexico looks like.' We ate there 3 nights in a row.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Reply to: Cruise Ship Days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted