We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Rain

I will be in Cozumel June 22-26 and it looks like there is a lot of rain in the forecast. Do you think we should cancel our trip or is there hope it will move out of the forecast?

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
33 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
510 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain

They dont know whats going to happen in 48 hours , let alone a week , as far as rain goes .

Level Contributor
153 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain

We have had weeks where the extended forecast shows rain everyday. Then, when we get there you might get a light shower for 15 minutes one day. Of course, there is no guarantee that this is not the time they finally get it right.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain

Except for this Sunday and Monday (and that can change) rain is forecast for the foreseeable future. This is the rainy season so it is to be expected. You may get some days with passing thunderstorms or no rain at all, we've been experiencing heavy day and night long rains recently, partly as a result of the disturbance moving up from Central America. But this is the rainy season...

I wouldn't reschedule based on the forecast unless you are considering moving your trip to sometime after the rainy season ends (Dec - April). As VCSD noted in his weather thread on the Playa forum, it is just very hard to rely on the daily and longer forecasts during this, the wet season.

So IMHO no, I would not change based on precipitation predictions, but if a major or infrequent vacation I would schedule during the prime season.

[EDIT] Welcome to TA by the way!

Edited: 15 June 2018, 22:26
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain

Would you be happier in Cozumel or where you live now?

June is hurricane season - always a chance of rain.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Concord, North...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain

We just returned and the forecast was rain every day. It rained for 5 minutes during the day twice abd almost every night. Dont worry, chances are you will be just fine. One thing I hate is stuck in a bar when it rains!!!!

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain

'One thing I hate is stuck in a bar when it rains!!!!'

Me too! Especially when it's Dick's Dive ;) Twice we had to run for that during a T-storm last month.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain

We just returned too. Forecast showed thunderstorms EVERY day. Saw a sprinkle only once. Didn’t even connect rain dots in the sand.

Edited: 16 June 2018, 04:04
Minnesota
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain

I would NEVER cancel a vacation based on a forecast!! Like others have said, the forecasts in Mexico are not reliable.. at all!! !!! actually we have had some good times ducking into a place to wait out a rain storm... like my first visit to Cozumel, we were going to go parasailing but a storm rolled in so the ride was postponed, there happened to be a bar next door with swings as stools so we bellied up there and had a few cocktails and some good conversation and many, many good laughs, dang, we had a great time!!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain

There is always rain in the forecast. Always.

Seriously - not just often or usually. Always.

You might think this is exaggeration. It's not. There's always rain in the forecast. It would be irresponsible to issue a forecast for Cozumel that didn't show at least some real chance of rain on any given day more than a day or so in the future.

Rain is a frequent occurrence. It is not constant. Just because rain is forecast does not mean it will rain that day.

I have been on the island when I'm pretty sure it didn't stop raining for more than a few minutes for a week. I have been on the island during a hurricane, and it rained only 3 days that week. I've been on the island for weeks on end when it never rained while I was awake, but often rained in the middle of the night.

If you cannot tolerate rain during your vacation, Cozumel is not the place to go.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
fort worth
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain

What Mark said

Reply to: Rain