We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for Locals/Expats

Killeen, Texas
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Questions for Locals/Expats

MEGA? I know they changed hands recently. Can anyone provide website for the current store? I need to check and see if they carry a few items before we arrive (July 3rd).

PLAYA.INFO Website gone? any info on reason, update? I was going to ask about possibly seeing an eye doctor on our upcoming visit. I remember a while back someone mentioning the name of a good one, in Playa I think. Does anyone know of a good eye doctor on Cozumel, or is mainland the only option? And, if I obtain a prescription in MX, will it be honored in the US? NOT for contact lens, etc.

Is July 2-3-4? election time again this year? with usual alcohol sales restrictions? If so, what day?

Will probably have a couple more questions in a few days. We have been to Cozumel, Playa, Isla Mujeres many times, so we know all about the usual pesos, taxis, timeshares, etc.

Thanks

19 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,083 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

Mega is now part of the Soriana chain. www.soriana.com

You likely can find the information you want there. Many of their stores deliver but so far I have not heard the one here in Cozumel is doing so.

Edited: 17 June 2018, 11:57
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

I believe July 1 is election day.

Mega has changed hands but the name is still Mega, and the signs have a small Sorianna sign under the Mega sign. The receipt says Sorianna. They have really cleaned the place up and made it better.

I like Optica DaVinci for eye issues.

For RX, just keep the pills in the original bottle. Narcotics and antibiotics will require a prescription.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
900 posts
1 review
3. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

My eye doctor on the island is Concepcion Planas.

Her office is next to and associated with San Miguel Clinic.

She speaks English and is a very good doctor. https://www.facebook.com/OpticaCaribeCozumel/

If it's eyeglasses as Mark recommended Optica DaVinci is a good choice.

Not clear on what you mean by prescription. For glasses? Or for medication? If it's glasses, most of the chain locations in the States include that in the price of the glasses. If it's medication, most likely not.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

Yes, DaVinci is an optometrist office. They were able to help me out with a very complicated contact lens prescription.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,083 posts
157 reviews
5. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

As said, Sunday July 1 is election day.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,921 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

No USA pharmacy would ever consider filling a prescription from Mexico...ever!!! And Mexico will not fill one from the US...but will read it...and probably charge you for "their" prescription...and then fill it as theirs!!! There are many drug stores in Cozumel that will sell you just about anything I found!!! Some even have it printed on a billboard with the Welcome to Cruise Ships signs...

Might want to read about bringing prescriptions back from Mexico...I know some people who got put into US jails for doing it... A small amount might pass...but a 12 month supply certainly can be detected by the dogs...and you then get fully inspected in the USA.

Liquor sales are usually stopped the nite before the election...and all day of the election. All inclusives somehow pay to allow them to keep on serving their customers. I have found that a metal cup will get you about anything..."just call it tea"!! Pretty sad to have such a rule that can be broken so easily. Buy and store it up is always my local friends way of by avoiding the laws...

Edited: 18 June 2018, 01:42
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
494 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

I think waterrat wants to know if they get an eye exam in Mexico, and are handed the prescription for glasses, can they take that to a US glasses place.

I don't know, I would call your nearest chain vision store and ask them.

I do believe that it could be used for the online glasses companies. There are many now and can be cheap. I have used them and very happy with them.

Or you could just buy the glasses in Mexico after your exam.

Killeen, Texas
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

Thanks all for your help!!

I want an EYEGLASSES prescription. NO MEDS. I am familiar with the US prescription laws. TOO FAMILIAR maybe.

Killeen, Texas
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

Too familiar meaning I have had to take many prescriptions lately and don't need anymore. Getting much better and hope to stay that way.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
122 reviews
10. Re: Questions for Locals/Expats

Going to a lot of Texans in Cozumel 4th of July week.

Reply to: Questions for Locals/Expats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted