We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Monina is now Open at the old El Bungalow Location

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
La Monina is now Open at the old El Bungalow Location

And they have done an outstanding job of expanding and renovating the location (just north of the airport road on Melgar at Playas las Casitas). They opened this week.

I had lunch their today and ran into a few locals I know who were chatting with the owner. Indeed he is the owner of SkyReef as I had heard a few months back. I could not confirm that fact in an earlier post so I didn't mention it. (I prefer to post first hand experiences versus what someone said they heard.)

There are two levels. Upstairs is one of the better oceanfront island dining experiences under a palapa. Nice chairs, nice tables, tile floors, great lighting, lots of plants and not crowded with a bunch of tables packed in. There was music, but it is background music. Downstairs is more casual with chaise lounges, plastic tables and chairs, and a man-made sandy beach that leads to the water. There is also an area offering massages.

What I saw other people eating appeared to be pretty large portions. I had a chicken wrap that was very good and had guacamole inside. It was a little smaller than I thought it should be, but I was full after I ate it. They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch and dinner prices range from $195 pesos for fish ceviche and sandwiches to $260 pesos for Mahi Mahi Tikin Xic, steak and other seafoods to 480 pesos for a 12 ounce rib eye.

You can see a lot of pictures of the food on their FB page or website at www.LaMonina.com.mx

Mentioned in this post
Casitas
Casitas
173 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
SkyReef Cozumel
SkyReef Cozumel
426 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
5 replies to this topic
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Monina is now Open at the old El Bungalow Location

Now this is my kind of update! Sounds perfect, Mark.

Gracias for the report!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Monina is now Open at the old El Bungalow Location

"their lunch" or "lunch there"....take your pick....sigh- I know, I know...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
415 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Monina is now Open at the old El Bungalow Location

Not to hijack the conversation Mark, but you reminded me of a great book from a few years ago called Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. All about the misuse of language and punctuation.

PA
Level Contributor
861 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Monina is now Open at the old El Bungalow Location

Dan.....I am also sorry to hijack but had to reply to the comment about the book, Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. My boss got it for me after I had a disagreement with a ESL speaker about my placement of commas. We here in Amish country have another one that can be taken 2 ways - I saw a horse with a buggy behind! LOL

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
415 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Monina is now Open at the old El Bungalow Location

Awesome Mark! We went back to Canada a few weeks ago, and are happy to hear its finally open! Those places are so close to our place, its nice to know we can go back there again to spend a day snorkelling, eating, and have some cold drinks!

Reply to: La Monina is now Open at the old El Bungalow Location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted