We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Azul drift

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
908 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Azul drift

How strong is the current that takes you fro Playa Azul to Buccanos?

15 replies to this topic
Jackson, Missouri
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Azul drift

not to bad real relaxing drift

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
570 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Azul drift

Some of the strongest current I've ever felt is in that area , but in my experience its usually just a 50 yard section or so , maybe 100 .. but in small areas it can ROAR . So dont count on it to carry you north . Ive made that drift several times and it involves a ton of swimming.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Azul drift

The current runs to the North 98% of the time. So you would not drift south to Buccanos.

What I would recommend is snorkeling south from Azul and then using the current to return you back to the starting point.

The current strength is variable. But as long as you are near shore and not 100's of yards offshore, you have no worries about not getting back to shore. (And even then, it really is not an issue.)

I drift free-dive spearfish this area a lo and mostly way offshore, but I always check the current to see which way it is going as I don't like to swim against the current with a speargun and a dive float.

Jackson, Missouri
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Azul drift

I was thinking of las brisas to buccanos

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Azul drift

I am a way lazier that Mark L!

lol

I go around behind the old (tall) hotel at Buccano's enter at the stainless steel steps, drift down to Playa Azul. Then I get out, walk back over to Buccano's and repeat ad nauseum.

Its a very gentle drift, that any competent swimmer should feel comfortable doing.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Azul drift

Las Brisas to Buccanos is a piece of cake. I do it all the time. Most of the time I just walk back from Nah Ha using my booties. Or carry a few dollars with you and have meal/drink then walk back. And be sure to leave your money pocket unzipped. I love finding money at the bottom of the ocean. So far this month an Under Armour fishing hat in perfect condition, a nice pair of sunglasses and 8 pesos.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Azul drift

Lol, Mark!

I found a five peso coin just north of the pier at Las Brisas.

I decided that, with my new-found wealth, I would not let it change my life too much.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Azul drift

Mal, we have enough to split a taco when we combine the booty!

Edited: 15 July 2018, 08:13
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Azul drift

Off to Mister Taco we go, Mark!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
908 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Azul drift

Thanks everyone. Is it possible to snorkel at playa asil or buccanos without getting caught up in the drift?

Reply to: Playa Azul drift
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted