We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away from Sunwing!

Amherstburg, Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stay away from Sunwing!

Not a huge complaint compared to others about Sunwing. I just received an email from my travel agent stating my departure and arrival times have been changed, instead of departing for Cozumel at 6:20am, it would have been at 3:20pm, with a layover in Cancun on the way home that would put me in Toronto at 1:35am instead of the original 3:35pm. They are well within their right to do this. Even though this would have inconvenienced me greatly, they don't care. Their customer service is atrocious. I was fortunate enough to pay a $500 penalty and book elsewhere, one day later and my trip would have been non-refundable.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay away from Sunwing!

This is more than likely the fault of the charter airline company Sunwing uses, which will also serve other travel companies too, not just Sunwing. I have had the same thing happen to me and I am sure most travellers relying on a charter company have had it too. I have had an even worse trip change to flight times where not only did the flight times change so did the dates, and unfortunately the dates for the resort could not be changed after the flight dates were, so after a lot of phone calls & on line searches we got a refund & found an alternative way to get there on the right dates. We had to drive 3 hours each way, stay 1 night in Syracuse etc but got there & back without loosing the nights booked at the resort which were valued at $500 per night.

Ontario
Level Contributor
786 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay away from Sunwing!

I fly sunwing all the time...love them...never had a bad experience...they were great to us when our luggage was misplaced...compensated us daily in cash so we wouldn't have to use our own money to buy stuff we needed. This bumping of departure time is something you get with EVERY carrier..if a flight is not sold out...they blend it with another..that is how they keep costs down. We have had it happen with bothe sunquest and air transat. In your agreement with the charter company it clearly says that your departure date can change 48 hours either side..you have to flexible just incase. Sunwing flies its own charters....so they would have made the decision.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay away from Sunwing!

Sunwing has their own planes.

I'm having difficulty communicating with Sunwing as we speak. They didn't respond to my e-mail (despite the fact that the website says e-mails will be responded to within 48 hours) and they appear to be giving conflicting information to the droves of customers who have been calling about the horrible recent reviews for the Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda.

I guess I will have to fit in a call of my own to them since they have ignored my e-mail.

Good old fashioned customer service is a thing of the past in so many areas - I guess including the travel industry.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay away from Sunwing!

We have had our flights changed from Winnipeg as well. Nothing as bad - a few hours difference either way. As long as there are no more changes, I'm good with it. We've vacationed for a number of years and I guess we've just been lucky as we haven't experienced any of the same with Sunquest/Signature via SkyService or Nolitours/Transat via West Jet.

This is our first experience with Sun Wing and chose them because they will fly us into Cozumel, rather than to Cancun and ground transportation/ferry to Cozumel. Hoping it all works out and that we will be repeat customers.

On another note - I have emailed Sun Wing and I believe they responded within 48 hours - if not it was shortly after.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay away from Sunwing!

You must have booked the same package we did, we got notified on xmas eve, we were very upset, we paid more for the direct flight to Cozumel, we are going anywhere, they paid for select seats for us, but are still not satisfied. Was leary booking with sunwing, and now i know why!!

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
695 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay away from Sunwing!

Hi Guys,

Sunwing is still the best charter to go down to Cozumel.

We have been down with all of them and trust me you might not like the hours but you will love you flight.

Keep in mind that it's also base on the coste of plan time take off and landing in any airport that they make these changes. So if they have to take down the prices in order to fill up the plain they will change to time they go so the cost to leave and land is less for them.

We have been on:

Sky service food was bad,cold and absolutely no leg room for a 6 foot personne.

Air Canada food is cold, dried and not interesting at all but you have leg room and now in the new plains you have entertainment on the seat in front of you.

CanJet...Thank god they don't go their any more. That is the worse we ever had it. No duty free and 2 brands of beef and one kind of wine.

Sunwing you have leg room is you book your seat a head of time...even the security exits! The food is hot and nice. Good duty free, nice drinks all around good service.

So next time you want the hours that are advertised encourage the people on the boards to book now and not wait because longer you wait the less you pay but the flight times will be move to cheaper time also at the airports.

Last minute booking will do this.

Just my 2 cents.

Lyne

Gatineau, Canada

7. Re: Stay away from Sunwing!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 17:17