We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim with the turtles

Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Swim with the turtles

We were in Playa Feb of 07 and swam with the turtles south of there.

We will be on a cruise and one of our stops is Cozumel...does anyone know of an area where you can swim with the turtles off Cozumel?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Swim with the turtles

Great question. I would love the answer too. We will be in Cozumel in a couple of weeks. We swam with huge turtles in Barbados and fell in love with them. I would love to do it again.

WI
Level Contributor
385 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Swim with the turtles

bump

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Swim with the turtles

I have never heard of any such place on Cozumel.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Swim with the turtles

I don't dive, but if you dive you might get to swim with some turtles. There is not a place on Cozumel where you can swim with captive turtles - thank God.

Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
5. Re: Swim with the turtles

Where we swam with them last year they wer NOT captive they were in the water munching on sea grass

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
135 posts
6. Re: Swim with the turtles

Halliewd.......your experience with the turtles sounds great. Can you tell me how far south of Playa you were and what beach access you used?

Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
936 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Swim with the turtles

You can usually see turtles if you snorkel at Akumal

WV
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: Swim with the turtles

If by swimming "with" you mean see while snorkeling, then Akumal is your best chance. About 20 miles south of Playa. They do say you might see a turtle at Punta Sur?

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Swim with the turtles

While diving the reefs we see turtles all the time. Some are asleep, some eating the sponges and some in mid water.

However, I have never seen or heard of an area where you could swim or snorkel with turtles on Cozumel.

Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
936 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Swim with the turtles

I have seen turtles while snorkeling at Punta Sur but I have been able to get much closer to them at Akumal.