We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim with the turtles

Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Swim with the turtles

We were in Playa Feb of 07 and swam with the turtles south of there.

We will be on a cruise and one of our stops is Cozumel...does anyone know of an area where you can swim with the turtles off Cozumel?

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Swim with the turtles

If you are really into turtles, check out Parismina, Costa Rica sea turtle program. Worth the adventure of getting there or PM me to find out how to raise money just by searching the net.

I stayed with a family, walked the beach at night to find the nesting Leatherback turtles and took the eggs to a protected area.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
347 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Swim with the turtles

I have had not gone looking for turtles on Coz but have had the pleasure of seeing them at Akumal. It is a wonderful experience, and I just hope that anyone that goes there respects the turtles space and does not harass or attempt to touch them. They need the chance to rest and feed in peace.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Swim with the turtles

Thank you all for your helpful information on seeing turtles while snorkeling.

Is Akumal Bay the best place, or is it Half Moon Bay or both places? Any other points-of-entry for turtle snorkeling in the Akumal area?

We will snorkel for 5 days on Cozumel and then move to the Akumal area.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
Akumal Bay Beach...
5,536 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
472 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
new mexico
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Swim with the turtles

I booked a sea turtle snorkel tour in Cozumel but they ferried us to calica to do the tour. There were people there off of a cruise ship that did it as well. The place that they took us was Akumal and it was amazing. I highly recommend it this tour. Let me know if you want the website where I booked my tour.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Swim with the turtles

Hi Super.....yes, I sure would like the contact information for the tour you took. It sounds wonderful.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Swim with the turtles

Turtles seem to prefer the protected areas inside a reef, where they can munch on turtle grass. Maybe that's why they call it turtle grass. These conditions are common along the shore south of Cancun, mainly in places where the reef crest is visible like Puerto Morelos, Akumal, part of Tulum, and the entire Costa Maya from Majahual to Belize. I don't know of any part of Cozumel that has these conditions. Of course there are enough turtles in the sea that you might run into some anywhere, but of course you will promise to leave them alone, right?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
415 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
17. Re: Swim with the turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 12:31