We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for the experts

ohio
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Question for the experts

I just posted 3 new reviews from our recent vacation. I noticed my review from March 07 was removed off my profile just like last year when my April 06 review was removed. What is up with that..any ideas?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,905 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for the experts

If it is the same hotel perhaps they just use the latest.

Ontario
Level Contributor
228 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for the experts

I just checked mine too, they took off 2007 review, left 2006 review on, on my latest 2008 of course is on. These were all different places, so whats that all about, why bother putting reviews on if they're taking them off. I know myself, I'll go way back on dates for checking reviews. They weren't a negative reviews either.

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
173 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for the experts

Interesting that you bring this up, I just checked mine and everything before 2006 is not there any more. Wonder what is going on? I have done quite a few reviews bofore then!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,905 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for the experts

Either email them if you can or make a post directed at them to get an answer.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for the experts

Well you have hit a nerve here as far as I am concerned. Last Feb I ran into the very same road block. We are allowed one review per property or location, no matter how many times you have been there. Last Feb I stayed at the Hotel Cozumel again & wrote another lengthy review with referances to the first one for differences & improvements. SHOT DOWN, not allowed, and I made a post about it too.

TA's review & rating system is flawed in my opinion, but that doesn't mean it's useless nor totally invalid, but it does need changes as far as I am concerned.

IF I have been to the same resort or hotel more than once I will notice changes, good or bad, and therefore have some basis to judge how I feel about them. TA uses user reviews to rate properties which is understandable, but is is really fair in all situations? When Hurricane Wilma destroyed most of the hotels & resorts along the waterfront in Cozumel they had to be totally rebuilt & remodelled but all of the old reviews stayed in the database, which isn't fair nor logical, but is a fact. If anyone out there has a valid solution please forward it to TA, it's needed.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
1,960 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
ohio
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for the experts

Cicopo wrote"IF I have been to the same resort or hotel more than once I will notice changes, good or bad, and therefore have some basis to judge how I feel about them."

I could not agree more... we go with the same attitude/ expectations when we do return trips to the same resort. Why take the time to do trip reports if they are just going to wipe them out?

I have all 3 trip reports up on another board all the same resort.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for the experts

I also had the same thing happend. I posted a review in 2006 about a dive operation that I had always had excellent service with. Then just this month I posted another review about the same operation and talked about new equipment, boat, etc.. My review from 2006 had received 5/5 for help from other members here on the board. It was removed. Now there are just two reviews.

However, I see others that have three reviews and go back into 2005 before hurricanes Emily or Wilma.

Trip Adivsor needs to get consistent in their posting policy; allow persons who travel there alot to post more than one review and eliminate these old outdated reviews. A lot of good things have taken place since 2005.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,905 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for the experts

cicopo, are you saying that the same person can only have one hotel review about Cozumel, even if they make three different reviews of different hotels in the same year?

If that is correct then TA needs to change that policy.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for the experts

No not just one review total, but only one per resort or other attraction such as a beach club etc. If you write a review for the hotel and submit it and later stay there again & write a new review (as I did last winter) they notified me that I either had to request that the original review be removed or they would just ignore posting my new one. I posted a message about it the time but it didn't draw much attention so after cooling down I re wrote the new review adding in what I still felt was important content from the original review, re submitted it along with the request to have the earlier post removed.

The attitude seems to be that allowing multiple reviews will change the rating system so no matter how many times you stay at a hotel you only get 1 vote in the popularity count.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,905 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for the experts

Thanks for the clarification Larry. Only one per destination would not make sense. I don't have any heartburn with one per hotel/activity. I do understand that you might have to "merge" the two reviews.