We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Sur

Lisbon, Iowa
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Punta Sur

Any advice for visiting Putna Sur. Parking? Fees? Drinks available there? Cost? Where to snorkel there?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Punta Sur

What is an appropriate tip for the kayak guy? Any suggestions?

Will the kayak guy bring you back to shore too?!

Thanks for the information!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Punta Sur

We have been out to the reef area a lot and if you can swim there it is worth it. I have seen beautiful fish and sea fan beds with gorgeous colors. I have been lucky to see turtles there and not so lucky sharks.

The beach is beautiful and peaceful after the cruise ship tours are done and in the late afternoon you have it almost to yourself.

The Kayak "guy" seems to disappear some after the tours are finished. We own our own life snorkle vests so we feel comfortable.

You can get them online reasonable.

The beach is great for walking ..When looking at the bay the area I am talking will be north and a couple of football fields out. So North is to your Right looking out from beach.

It is also the best place on a bad weather day to get out of the wind and a lot of times find sun when you can't find it anywhere else on the island.

Lisbon, Iowa
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Punta Sur

Thank you everyone for all the advice. We are leaving tomorrow on our second tip to Cozumel. The first time we did not get to Punta Sur and are looking forward to a stop there this time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Punta Sur

After looking through cicopo's photos, how would you all rank the snorkeling at punta sur, with the options being fair, good, very good, excellent? For comparison's sake and using the same rating system, please also rank the palancar snorkel via boat, playa corona, coral princess area and playa azul.

Just trying to get a feel for how they compare now that I have pics to go from.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Punta Sur

And still nobody here has an idea of how to find out if the weather is calm enough before you hit that dirt road and find out they are not running the kayaks because it is too rough.

I have stumped the panel. Thank you very much. (LOL).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Punta Sur

No comparison to the boat snorkel tours that take you to Colombia Shallows & surrounding areas. Colombia Shallows has been one of my favorite places to dive for years but it's shallow enough to really enjoy while snorkeling too. You will find several albums taken at Colombia Shallows here.

picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules

RE CONDITIONS affecting whether or not it will be a red flag day. Generally speaking the wind should be calm, or out of the north east thru east which has that area sheltered more than if the wind is from the south or west. The park is at the tip of the island & the island is like a wedge into the prevailing current forcing it to speed up as it's re directed up along that side of the island. Add wind & the waves get bigger so a calm day is best. Ask divers how the currents are while you're there, because they change with the weather too & if they are strong on the reefs they are likely strong at the tip too.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Punta Sur

Great advice, cicopo. Gracias!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
75 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Punta Sur

More update info on Punta Sur. I think it is one of the best snorkeling spots on the island.

www.thecozumelsun.com/punta-sur-cozumel/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Punta Sur

Taking a look at the photos from Columbia now...

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Punta Sur

MLphoto....I agree Punta Sur is one of the best places.