We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ride Sharing Services

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,612 posts
159 reviews
Ride Sharing Services

For visitors to Merida, you might want to note that in addition to taxis you have several ride sharing operators. Of course Uber but also Cabify and a new one In Driver. I try to use anyone but Uber and mostly Cabify which registers the vehicles so, unlike Uber, I do not have to sit in front and pretend to be a friend of the driver. Prices are much the same and in addtion, Cabify always gives you a bottle of water.

The In Driver is an interesting concept. You name your price and quickly you will get many drivers who either accept or offer slightly more. Up to you to pick one. They are a large company but Russian based. Only accepted which is good since I am not likely to give them credit info!

6 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
193 reviews
1. Re: Ride Sharing Services

You've posted before that you had to sit up front and pretend to be friends with the uber driver. We didn't have that experience when we used uber in Merida. Maybe the driver just thought you were a nice guy and wanted to talk to you more easily :)

I couldn't get Cabify to work for me when I was in Merida, but I'd be willing to give them a second chance when I'm there again.

Not sure about In Driver. I haven't heard of them before.

Susan

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,612 posts
159 reviews
2. Re: Ride Sharing Services

Interesting about Uber. I just had my best friend complaining yesterday because she had to sit in the front Uber driver. Maybe some are just not as afraid as others of the local authorities haha. You will find the services here that pay the necessary fees and register properly will have a decal with the company name in the upper right-hand side of the windshield.

Cabify did originally only accept PayPal but now also accept cash. But have not yet tried it with them.

I looked up the Russian owned service

And found they were a surprisingly large company just not in this part of the world. But they have a very nice English app that works very well.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
168 reviews
3. Re: Ride Sharing Services

I've been taking Uber all around Merida, even being picked up on the same block at a Taxi sito without issue. Prices are about 1/2 as the taxis and the cars are better with a/c and no cash needed since it's automatically charged to a credit card

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,612 posts
159 reviews
4. Re: Ride Sharing Services

I use Cabify and usually prices the same or lower than Uber with better vehicles. Of course the cars also have air conditioning and it is automatically billed to me. I have also been trying a new service which has worked out well, InDriver. They do only accept cash but I usually get them at a lower price than Uber or Cabify. (I have a friend who lives not far from Altabrisa that has started using InDriver for frequent trips to the airport. They charge her 100 pesos while both Uber and Cabify charge 165 or more)

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
157 reviews
5. Re: Ride Sharing Services

I love Uber, Roberto, as you know.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,612 posts
159 reviews
6. Re: Ride Sharing Services

I know, Bill. I find them ok at times, not so good at times. One of those times was two days ago when they had some glitch with their routing app and , as often happens, the drivers knew nothing of the city. Who knew the Los Pinos area had so many unpaved roads with potholes big enough to swallow one of their small cars. And you would think they would take the initiative to find a new route but not so. We just continued on the unpaved road until my companion, a local, got on her cellular and helped the driver find destination.

I guess my biggest gripe when I do have a problem is Ubers so called customer service. All they give are apparently canned responses which often have little to do with the problem. Cabify responds with what is obviously a real response from a real person.

But room for everyone.I use Cabify when available , then either Uber or InDriver.

Reply to: Ride Sharing Services
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted