We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

Staying at the Five Azul this coming week and was thinking of bringing a couple insulated tumblers (Contigo/Yetti) and have those filled instead of plastic cups...mostly to keep my (and gf) drinks colder for longer. Is this strange/odd? I normally wouldn't have this idea but last time I was in Mexico albeit 4 years ago, lots of people had them. I would use these at the pool bars only, not the restaurants or other bars.

Mentioned in this post
The Fives Azul Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen
The Fives Azul Beach...
8,976 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Pintxeria Patanegra
$, Mediterranean, Spanish, Pub
Finisima Caguameria de Esquina
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Caribbean, Seafood
INTI Beach
French, Caribbean, Pub
18 replies to this topic
Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

Not rude at all and tonnes of people use them. I just packed mine as we are leaving tonight!

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

Good to know. Do people usually just dump their drink in them or do the bartenders make the drink inside the container? I dont want to assume although I think if I do use my own container-I will drink at a slower pace knowing every sip will be nice and cold/frozen

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

They will rinse it out and make the drink in it no problem

New Jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

last time I went they did make my drinks in my tumbler. However, I would wash out my own tumbler at night. I like to keep a cold drink too. I also hate to get sand or chlorine in my drink. I also just sip so it is a guarantee that the second 1/2 of my drink would be warm/hot if I did not use a tumbler. This trip I am also bringing a stainless steel reusable straw as I read that a lot of resorts are trying to phase out plastic straws.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

they are great to take..

drink stays cold, keeps sand out, less trips to bar, better for environment ( plastic disposable are awful)

we also bring a small thing of dish soap and wash nightly

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,468 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

"we also bring a small thing of dish soap and wash nightly"

Cut up a sponge into small (but usable) cubes, drop into a ziplock bag and drizzle with dish soap. Use 'em one at a time to wash out your tumblers and discard when dirty/no longer soapy. I like to double bag to avoid any possibility of leakage but this takes up less room than a bottle of dish soap, is less likely to leak and may save you some space in your liquids baggie.

If you bring a reusable straw, make sure you have an appropriate cleaner (it looks like a pipe-cleaner) with you as well. It was the very issue of being able to clean/sanitze the straw properly that prompted me to choose a container that doesn't have a straw at all.

Lakewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

Okay to use the hot water to wash everything out in my room? I did buy a container of hand soap-mostly to wash my glasses whe needed but I imagine I can use on my cups as well.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

HOLAGATA!! I love the cut up sponge idea. I do have the little brush cleaners but the disposable sponge technique id brilliant!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,943 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

Yes love the cut up sponge idea ! And yes we always bring our own cups !

North East England...
Level Contributor
191 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?

loads use thermal mugs to keep the drinks colder last longer plus cuts down on use of plastic cups, I bought one last year for Cuba off ebay you want some method able to drink it without having remove the top all the time like a slider or other attachment.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 01:21
Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Reply to: Rude to bring your own drink tumblers to/for pool bar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted