We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

playa del carmen resort recommendations

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
playa del carmen resort recommendations

Traveling to playa in August, looking for a resort feel but not stale. Pools, restaurants, bars, and nice swimming beach. Would like to walk to town. It's a little overwhelming trying to find a place. Want the "Mexican feel" but also a resort. Anything like this?

11 replies to this topic
NY
Level Contributor
494 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

The Royal Playa del Carnen is an all-inclusive resort that is very close to town and is very popular and gets great reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g15…

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,768 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
PA
Level Contributor
150 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

We don’t typically stay at big resorts in the area but when we were in Playa last time I thought Playacar Palace looked pretty darn nice. Also Mahekal Beach Resort looked good. Both are walkable to the 5th ave action..

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
356 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mahekal Beach Resort
Mahekal Beach Resort
3,216 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
MB
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

Hi there, right in playa not alot of choices all inclusive. We really like gran Porto now Panama Jack's. Have stayed at the Royal next door which is great as well but a little loud and busy for us. We are quite book readers lol! You are right in town with these two places which we really like. Have also stayed at playacar palace which is also very walkable to town.

My favorite Panama Jack's, small resort nice feel easy going good foods top shelf drinks excellent staff. You can upgrade to a walk out or gran master suite and have access to the Royal which is nice for the restaurant aspect. In saying that playa car palace's beach was the best when I was last there, followed by the royal. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen
Panama Jack Resorts...
10,737 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Panama
Panama
Central America
The Royal Playa del...
17,768 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Labroquerie,Mb
Level Contributor
87 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

Panama Jack/Gran Porto is great !!!!! On the beach, two minute walk up the street to fifth ave. Great staff,great food !!!!

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama Jack Resorts...
10,737 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

I loved the Royal! Perfect location to shop and venture out to local restaurant which I love! Also, the place is gorgeous and service was amazing!

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del...
17,768 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,114 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

If you want a "nice swimming beach" I'd choose one in Playacar.

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
356 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

Can't beat Gran Porto/Panama Jacks for location and price. Leaves some money to have dinner in town without feeling guilty that you've paid all inclusive. However, the beach leaves ALOT to be desired. There are sandbags along the edge of the water, rocks IN the water, and sargassum tends to collect in front. I wouldn't call it a "luxury" resort experience, but you can definitely have a lovely vacation there and enjoy the town of Playa. We love the area so much, I can't imagine having a bad time at any place you choose. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Panama Jack Resorts...
10,737 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Panama
Panama
Central America
South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

Thank you so much for the recommendations, leaning towards playacar for the beaches. I have read Panama Jacks Beach is less than desirable. Wanting a smaller resort feel with all of the luxuries. Will look into all of these places, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

Iborek - Playacar is a gated community/development adjacent to Playa del Carmen. It has about a dozen all-inclusive resort and all on the fantastic Playacar beach. All are walkable to Playa del Carmen or a short cab ride.

Each one offers quality in line with the price charged.

You don't have to stay IN Playa del Carmen.

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
356 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: playa del carmen resort recommendations

wonderful Jhg654 thank you!!! Will look into the different resorts here. I also heard there is snorkeling off shore down in that area. Looking forward to our vacation and not so overwhelmed now.

Reply to: playa del carmen resort recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted