We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed in October?

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Seaweed in October?

I’ve been reading about all the seaweed all over the coast there for months. Your thoughts about whether it will likely clear up by mid October or not or impossible to know. Really want to go to Secrets Maroma beach for our 25th anniversary, but strongly reconsidering. Thank you for your thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Secrets Maroma Beach...
13,542 Reviews
Playa Maroma, Mexico
9 replies to this topic
Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaweed in October?

It's hard to call from week to week let alone forecasting it 5 months from now.

Just my opinion mind you.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaweed in October?

Well not just yours. :-)

As with other aspects of beach conditions, there is a lot of variation over time and from one specific location to the next.

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaweed in October?

No one has a crystal ball

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaweed in October?

That’s fairly obvious that no one has a crystal ball! What I’m asking is it seasonal or completely random. Is October any different that June or it all the same?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,929 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaweed in October?

I don't think there has been enough history to make a prediction.

In 2015, when it was the worst I've seen, it eventually abated, and I don't recall that it was a problem at any time in 2016.

The seaweed returned in Feb/March 2017, and again abated towards the end of the year when there was very little to none. When it did appear at the end of 2017, it was usually a thin strip, and easily raked up. On most days, the beaches were clean.

In late February this year, seaweed returned in significant amounts. We have had a few occasional clean beach weeks when the beaches had been cleaned up, and no new seaweed washing ashore, but it has always returned. I suspect it will abate as it did last year, but I don't know when (I'm not even sure if it will abate).

I know there was little to none last October, as well as Oct 2016, but can't recall Oct 2015.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 08:28
Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaweed in October?

Thank you for sharing all of your experiences with seaweed this epidemic! 🤪 Perfect!

Edited: 08 June 2018, 10:16
Vermont
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaweed in October?

This is just about all that can be said with certainty: If you want to be reassured that seaweed will not be a problem during your vacation, you are going to have to travel somewhere else. If you are determined to travel to the Caribbean area of Mexico, Western facing beaches on Cozumel and Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres are safer bets. If you just want to go to Mexico, the Pacific coast is an even safer bet.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,488 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaweed in October?

"I don't think there has been enough history to make a prediction."

^^^This.

I've been on these forums for a looong time (13 years) and am not aware of any seagrass issue prior to 2015. Although I've read speculations that mention rising ocean temperatures and other factors, I don't believe any definitive cause of this problem has been identified. So, without a history and without any real understanding of why this is happening in the first place, it's impossible to predict future conditions.

There is a website that provides "forecasts" about eight days out based upon satellite imagery that tracks the "mats" of seagrass in the ocean - but even they have a disclaimer stating that their forecasts are based upon current trends and theories. seas-forecast.com/Page%20Forecast/Yucatan.jpg

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaweed in October?

Hard to say, but I have been to the area in June, October, November, December and October had the worst weather and seaweed. Would not go back at that time.

Reply to: Seaweed in October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted