We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar

Vancouver Island BC...
Level Contributor
182 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar

1. I’ve heard Playacar is nicer for beach area than caracol but what about for snorkelling? Is one better than the other?

2. Which location has the resident cat city?

Please only comment if you have been to both! :)

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
423 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Newport House Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
#2 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#5 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#10 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
6 replies to this topic
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
795 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar

I am cheating..both have a Cat City.

North East England...
Level Contributor
190 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar

know I have snorkelled off Sandos Caracol Eco resort saw a massive green eel and fish in the rocks, I love this hotel because of the jungle location and the animals and the shows you can always have a day visit to the other it closer to the shops busier place

Mentioned in this post
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
14,426 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar

Large cat city at Sandos Playacar

Snorkeling is also very good.

Been to both

Sandos Playacar hands down for many things

If you want to have the best price, book via a Royal Elite member. I wouldn’t go back unless I book from a member. Many perks.

I book here:

www.royaleliterental.com

Mentioned in this post
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,583 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar

Sandos Caracol is our favorite resort, mainly because of the animal encounters. The grounds are beautiful- it seems very private with animals everywhere you look. The snorkeling is pretty good if you go past the large rock formation at the Adult Select section. The beach is decent- walkable, not very wide.

We visited Playacar for one day. The beach is the best part. It is really wide and gorgeous. I didn’t see anything when I went snorkeling. The water is very clear and it’s all sand at the bottom, no reef that I could see. The resort feels very compact and crowded. We were there in September so I can’t imagine what it would be like during a busier season. The adult pool was really fun and lively but it closed early.

We love the variety of pools at Caracol. If you love nature you will not be disappointed at Caracol.

Mentioned in this post
14,426 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
423 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Iowa
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar

Sandos playacar. I thought Sandos Caracol was a dump. Food was terrible, pools gross and not a swimsble beach. We ended up going to Sandos playacar everyday. Maybe staying in the elite section makes a difference in Caracol? Our room was older and worn.

Last day we had a cockroach on our breakfast table. Couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

Mentioned in this post
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Sandos Playacar Beach...
14,583 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
14,426 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Canada
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar

We stay in the Elite section at Caracol (bldgs 1-11) and yes it does make a difference and you are closest to the water. Not being by the water is a deal breaker for us. Many of the "family rooms" have now been renovated and others have been totally gutted, redone and are now upgraded family "eco" rooms.

We like Playacar but can't say we love it. We do however love their beach. I'm looking forward to the Select Club moving to the beach front buildings later this year. We are also interested to see what the new Palm Bay section is going to be all about. All rooms will have a water view. Downside is they are setting a pretty high price point for it and not sure the service can measure up to that level. We'll see!

Mentioned in this post
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
423 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reply to: Sandos Caracol VS Sandos Playacar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted